Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Hey there

So I've had the iBook for almost 3 years now and the charger seems to flick on and off. Sometimes I'll have to rotate the plug or twist the cord in a certain way in order to get the charge going.

Obviously, I'm past my free 1 year coverage by Apple so I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is an issue with the charger or the laptop.

The charger shows no wear and tear, the cord and all the pieces are still intact, nothing has fallen off or come apart.

Are there any tests I can run to see where the problem lies? Anyone experience similar?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hey there

So I've had the iBook for almost 3 years now and the charger seems to flick on and off. Sometimes I'll have to rotate the plug or twist the cord in a certain way in order to get the charge going.

Obviously, I'm past my free 1 year coverage by Apple so I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if this is an issue with the charger or the laptop.

The charger shows no wear and tear, the cord and all the pieces are still intact, nothing has fallen off or come apart.

Are there any tests I can run to see where the problem lies? Anyone experience similar?

Is the jack loose where you plug the adapter into the iBook? I've heard pf those coming loose before and causing a similiar problem. If it is, your problem is the logic board. From what I understand, it would have to be replaced if that's the case. Take it to the Genius Bar. They'll at least be able to tell you for sure.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
most likely a bad connection

To determine whether the bad connection is in the wire, or in the computer do the following: First, grip the plug and move it up and down, without allowing the wire to move, while plugged in to the computer, if it flickers on and off then it's a solder joint inside the computer. Second, hold the plug stable, but move the wire up and down at the hillock of the plug, if it flickers there's a broken connection insider the wire. One and only one of these steps should cause it to flicker if done correctly. If it's the cable, new power supply. If it's a connection inside the computer, then take it to a genius, and they can most likely have it resoldered to prevent you from needing a new logic board. If they won't resolder it, then you may need to just get a new logic board, or try fixing it yourself.

Based on your description it sounds like the wire of the power supply is the problem.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I did try moving the plug and then subsequently moving the cord. The power flickers/turns off when I shake the cord. When I move the plug up and down, it does not flicker unless I rotate it (which I guess would move the wire and therefore cause it to flicker again).

Can we then conclude that it is a problem with the adapter? I live in Asia at the moment so I don't have access to a Genius Bar and getting it looked at by the service center is going to cost some money. Thanks!

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Can we then conclude that it is a problem with the adapter? I live in Asia at the moment so I don't have access to a Genius Bar and getting it looked at by the service center is going to cost some money. Thanks!

Is there a chance you can use someone else's iBook adapter to test on your laptop and see if it's a bad charger.

Macoltrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Is there a chance you can use someone else's iBook adapter to test on your laptop and see if it's a bad charger.

I did actually try that. Said person actually also had a busted charger and would actually flicker whenever I jerked the cord and wire. Would this point to any issues with the computer as well? He also experiences the on off flicker as well with his charger

daisy106

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
I have same problem

Hey there

Hi there did u get It fixed and if so how much did it cost and what was wrong as i am having exact the same problem with my ibook.

thanks

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
I had the same problems with mine took it in and they said I needed a new power adapter, they took one out there and tried it, all was good, it seems they only last a few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.