Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
when you open and shut the Lid?

mine sounds like one of those old haunted houses, good job I dont go the library:p

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Mine done that too. I just put a drop of baby oil on each of the hinges, wiped up the excess, and it stopped.

TH-Gunner

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
Mine creaks if I put pressure on it while I close it. But it doesn't creak while opening. I think this started one day when I was cleaning the case with alcohol. Also, it only creaks if I close it slowly. If I do it at regular speed, it doesn't creak.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Are you talking about the superdrive? My macbook does something with its superdrive each time it wakes from sleep (it almost sounds like it is taking a disc in, though only for a moment, which might sound a little bit like a creak)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I had this problem. It was annoying as hell.

Sent it in 3 times and Apple never got it fixed. Ended up giving me a replacement but then I said I'd pay the difference for a MBP... and that's where I am now.

KruseF1

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Mine definitely creaked big time. That old haunted house sound describes it well. The cause is the piece of plastic covering the hinge support. Took mine apart and re-adjusted, good as new.

razyorv

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Mine used to creak but I stuck piece of waxed floss between the hinges and now it's perfectly silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.