Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How important is blu ray for the next imac (mac mini also?) update?

• Critically important. I'll wait till Apple includes blu ray drives before I make my purchase.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Somewhat important. I can live without it. Blu ray superdrive attachment anyone? (Yea right)

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Not important at all. Downloadable HD content will soon be common anyways.

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'll say it again: It won't be in an iMac before it's in the Mac Pro.

Two revisions from now, at the earliest. That's... December/Januaryish?

That said, I already have a Blu-ray/HD DVD drive that I'll be putting in my Nehalem Mac Pro. By that time, you'd think Apple'd at least support HD playback, wouldn't you?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008

Hello again HK lol. Yea I remember seeing you say that in a thread before. I know you're right too. Perhaps i should have rephrased it to include "any mac" in general.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I could see Apple completely going the other way and skipping out on Blu-Ray all together. Why promote the opposing movie medium?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you mean opposing digital downloads, then yes, they're competing... but not now.

HD downloads are a niche right now; no more. In five years, physical media will have STIFF competition from Apple.

In Asia perhaps, where they currently enjoy broadband speeds of up to 100Mbs. The average broadband speed in the US is 1/50th of that figure, (and to add insult to injury, it's also much more expensive).

Is 5 years enough time to find the capital and political will to shore up our infrastructure so that streaming HD is viable? If I were a betting man, I'd say no.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
If you mean opposing digital downloads, then yes, they're competing... but not now.

HD downloads are a niche right now; no more. In five years, physical media will have STIFF competition from Apple.

Blu-Ray is also Niche right now. I think there was a report out just last week that stated that only about 50% of the American population knew what Blu-Ray was.

Now, granted, I'm sure the knowledge of AppleTV and digital downloads is considerably less... and is less capable of widespread adaption due to internet connections speeds, but I do think that digital downloads and iTunes in particular is a strong contendor (currently) against Blu-Ray.

There are several analysts already stating that the HD war killed Blu-Ray, because HD-DVD extended the battle (similar to the way that Hillary is extending the democratic race right now) and now digital downloads have got momentum and have the potential to take over. (McCain)

;) Nice analogy, huh?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me personally, its not that important as I have no Blu-ray movies, and I don't need it for storage. That said, it would be nice to see it as a build to order option.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I would love Blu-Ray, but I won't make it a priority if I had to buy an iMac.

My guess is two revisions from now. I think Apple is still unsure of whether or not to add Blu-Ray to their machines.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
In this day and age of HD downloads, $89 500 GB external HDs, and standard DVDs that are "good enough" for most, I struggle to see why Blue Ray is so important.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
i mean apple is paying to be a member of the BDA
they should at least offer a drive as an option
my guess is they put one on the mac pro first and that the drive stays on that computer for a really long time, until the prices come down

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
why does ANYONE care about blu ray?! i can see the appeal in a blu ray writer, but i see absolutely no point in apple incorporating a blu-ray player in their computers... especially since their in the digital download game now with AppleTV...

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
why does ANYONE care about blu ray?! i can see the appeal in a blu ray writer, but i see absolutely no point in apple incorporating a blu-ray player in their computers... especially since their in the digital download game now with AppleTV...

Remember... just because you have access to high-speed internet, doesn't mean everyone does. For example, I think that only about 40% of U.S. residents have internet access over 56k. Download based rental services are very tied to this fact.

ANYONE can get a netflix account. iTunes rentals are viable for a minority of people only. I personally utilize both... but my parents on the family farm don't even have the capability to get high-speed.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Remember... just because you have access to high-speed internet, doesn't mean everyone does. For example, I think that only about 40% of U.S. residents have internet access over 56k. Download based rental services are very tied to this fact.

ANYONE can get a netflix account. iTunes rentals are viable for a minority of people only. I personally utilize both... but my parents on the family farm don't even have the capability to get high-speed.

Do you not see the correlation between those without broadband and those who won't care about blue-ray?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I chose "somewhat" important because the Mac Mini does seem to have some popularity as an HTPC (Home Theatre PC) and Blu-Ray would likely be a desirable option for such a role. ;)

However, 12.5mm BR player prices remain quite high (~50% of the MM's price), so they need to come down to more like $50-100 instead of $250-300 before we see them in Mac Minis.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Do you not see the correlation between those without broadband and those who won't care about blue-ray?

Perhaps a negative correlation.

If you assume that most of those people live in rural areas, you have to realize that it is MUCH harder for them to get broadband than it is to get a blu-ray player and blu-ray discs. You are apparently trying to say that these people are behind on technology in general, and I really don't buy that... atleast not to the extent that you do. Are you saying that the percentage of people in rural areas with a DVD player is less than those in urban areas? I think the difference is negligible.

To get broadband there would need to be a company which considers it monetarily viable to add service to their area... which is unlikely. To get blu-ray, they just need to get the mail (everyone in the U.S., UK, whatever) and have a Wal-Mart or other electronics dealer in there area. The retail saturation is much higher with Blu-Ray than with digital download mediums... obviously.

On the other hand, I personally feel that the war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD left an opening for digital downloads... and I think it is the wave of the future. I will maybe never own a Blu-Ray player for this reason. To me, physical media has next to no appeal... other than to rip content to my computer. :)

THX Scientist says it's too late for Blu-Ray

acarle208

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008

That said, I already have a Blu-ray/HD DVD drive that I'll be putting in my Nehalem Mac Pro. By that time, you'd think Apple'd at least support HD playback, wouldn't you?

What is so good about Nehalem?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I voted not important at all. I have a PS3 for BluRay... and I would much rather have DL content on my computer.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
There are several analysts already stating that the HD war killed Blu-Ray, because HD-DVD extended the battle (similar to the way that Hillary is extending the democratic race right now) and now digital downloads have got momentum and have the potential to take over. (McCain)

;) Nice analogy, huh?

Actually, that analogy is weak. Downloadable content will eventually be the standard, but right now it doesn't even offer 1080 resolution and 720 isn't the same quality as 720 HD. While some day the republicans may return to the executive office, this fall (the near future) belongs to the democrats and Blu-ray.

However, as for Apple, Blu-ray probably won't be making it's way into apple computers anytime before the election.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Granted I won't be buying a computer for another year or two at the earliest, but if I was in the market for a new laptop right now, I'd probably hunt down an X1330 with BR, USB3/WUSB, and pop XP on it.

I just don't get how Apple's living in the dark ages as far as connectivity goes. Do people not realize that DVD will turn to into Blu-ray, DVI will turn into DisplayPort, and USB2 is morphing into USB3/WUSB?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't see DVD going away as fast as VHS did, Blu-Ray is still a ways off from mass adoption.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I just don't get how Apple's living in the dark ages as far as connectivity goes.

Yes, I agree that it would be incredible if Apple took the lead again and released these new ports and means of communication before their competitors. (USB, ANYONE?!)

The Nehalem Mac Pro needs to have:
1 FireWire 3200
1 USB 3 (and the usual compliment of 2.0)
Wireless USB as a BTO option

That's some future-proofing right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.