Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm not sure if it's shipping yet, but has anyone tried it or heard about what it's like? I'm looking for an audio interface for around $150, and it looks like a good bet. I can't find any reviews, and would like to learn a bit more about it first. Thanks.

madnack

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
My AudioBox Has Been Nothing But Trouble

I have a Windows XP laptop (Acer), so it may be different for MAC users, but I bought the AudioBox about 5 or 6 months ago and have had nothing but problems. Driver that came with it (I got one from one of the first shipments) didn't work properly and PreSonus hadn't bothered to notify users. Got Blue Screen of Death. Called them - and they claimed that it was just VISTA users having problems & as an XP user I should be fine so it must be my computer. But there was no info for Vista users on their site either.
Installed Asio4All driver - & it worked, but I kept having to re-install it every couple of weeks or so until it just stopped working. Sucked it up & tried the newest driver in November. I would have no sound for days, then it would just suddenly start working. Tried adding Asio4All too, and that stabilized it - so I had sound more often - but it popped all the time - ruining recordings. It even popped outside of Cubase. Tried the latest driver two weeks ago - got two more blue screens. Computer went down. Reformatted hard drive installed it again. No sound for a day - then this morning, it decided to work.
And PreSonus reps claim there's no problem with the current driver - it's my computer. Although when I called Steinberg about the issue they said they'd received lots of complaints about the AudioBox USB (or the driver). PreSonus rep said HIS AudioBox works perfectly, so Steinberg are just passing the buck and my computer's the issue.
In my opinion - not worth the trouble. But again, you've got a MAC, so your experience may be different. Going to sell it and try FireWire. Won't ever buy an untried product from PreSonus again either - they don't seem interested either in helping or accepting accountability for issues with their product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.