Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
A 93-year-old driver who had not had an accident in 76 years but caused £60,000 worth of damage to two Porsche cars has spoken of his "miracle" escape.

Jack Higgs was uninjured when his Ford Fiesta hit a Carrera II then flipped over onto a Porsche 911 outside a showroom in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan.

He was found hanging upside down by his seatbelt in his overturned Fiesta.

The former Pentecostal minister, who lives next door to the showroom, has now decided to quit driving.

Full story

_44567883_porcshe.226.jpg _44567876_crash.226.jpg

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Oh my goodness. I should hope he quits driving.

This is why I think once you reach a certain age, you should have to pass a driving test every single year. Old people are bad drivers!

A few years ago, there was this little old blue hair driving in the K-mart parking lot in my hometown. I was with a group of friends, walking toward the entrance. I saw her turn towards us and said "Look out, old ladies hit people." Sure enough, not more than 10 seconds later, she slammed into a parked car in the lot. We turned around and laughed. She was fine, but the guy whose car she mangled was incredibly pissed.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Glad he decided to stop driving - he should be thankful he was not injured in that accident.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This is why I think once you reach a certain age, you should have to pass a driving test every single year.

I feel the same way about drivers of all ages, except I think you should be forced to take a driving test every 5-10 years, and make it a real, proper driving test which tests all your skills like they do with teenagers. Sure, lots of teenagers who are crap at driving luck out and eventually pass the test, but if they are really bad, can they pass the test again later? And again after that?

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Both cars were privately owned and were in the garage for servicing.

Mr Higgs' Fiesta, worth £600, was also a write-off.

Two pissed Porche Owners then and his car was probably only worth one part of a Porsche lol!! Just so funny how they wrote that.

Its good he got out alive though, lucky escape.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Two pissed Porche Owners then and his car was probably only worth one part of a Porsche lol!! Just so funny how they wrote that.

Its good he got out alive though, lucky escape.

I don't think the cost of his car would be enough to cover a busted window or dented bumper :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.