PDA

View Full Version : How to capture AC3 Audio from TOSLINK input

sfatula
Apr 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Seems like this should be simple, and maybe it is. But, I have a device hooked up to a Mac with a TOSLINK cable. On the Mac, I want to be able to capture the AC3 audio coming in and record to a file. How can I do this? All the recording software I find such as Audio Hijack do not do AC3.

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 15, 2008, 01:14 PM
Are you sure the digital in is even capable of 5.1 input? I see no option for encoded input under audio midi setup. That said I've recorded stereo digital audio from my xbox using a cable into it, and I'm fairly sure my xbox was outputting DD.

sfatula
Apr 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
No, I am not positive. But, I have a sat receiver hooked up via TOSLINK and I can record down-mixed sound from it just fine. To downmix it, the Mac has to understand the input, so, apparently it does.

I just need something to record the raw audio coming in, I don't need any processing or anything else. Even if I have to buy hardware, but, somehow, I think it is possible.

sfatula
Apr 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
I am sure now. I can use Audio Hijack to hijack digital in.

So, AC3 source -> TOSLINK INPUT of Mac -> TOSLINK output of Mac -? A/V receiver DOES play DD.

But, alas, Audio Hijack cannot capture the audio into a suitable container, such as AC3.

So, what tool will allow me to do this? Clearly, this proves it is possible.