Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stakis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
The other day I realized that when I was watching the Keynote of the MBA introduction, I was like pshh... only 1 usb... (no DVD drive didn't bother me) only 80gig... bah, not for me

then about a month later I found myself in an apple store and actually took a look at it... and I was Hooked!!!

I was actually sold on its looks over its hardware.

1 month after owning it, I'm loving it (coming from a Rev A MBP) and thinking its the best laptop for me!

any similar stories?

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Wow .. I've personally never bought a computer based on the way it looks. However, I do know your not alone or Apple wouldn't be able to charge extra for the black MacBook.

Glad you are enjoying your new MBA!

Cheers.

netddos

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
The last mac I owned before getting the Air was G4. That should tell you something :p

I agree with you on aesthetics..

The half of purchase decision was made on the looks (that doesn't mean I miss USB ports and DVD drive)

stakis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
not sure about a hater, but underwhelmed for sure. I bought one today!:D

Ok let me tone it down a bit here... I wasn't a hater... but more of a... its not for me mindset.

until I realized that I was never really using my MBP to its fullest... just do random web surfing... lots of media... photos, vids, and music.

really it turned out it was exactly what I needed.

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
mere skeptic turned

since iPhone I wanted a mac at some point... would love to lose (gain?) my windependence...
had doubts about air, its overall feel in the hand... but after a hold n type i loved it (I had to exchange my orig one with a dying battery for new - and even that was so EZ with applestore support - quite impressive)

just wish i didn't have to use pc side much more than OSX... amazed at how really great it runs as a win machine toooo

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I thought it was horribly under-cooled, and lacking far too many ports to be useful. About a week or two ago, I went to my local Best Buy, looked at one, and realized, dang, this thing is light... but really HOT for just sitting here. And the lack of Firewire and a 2nd USB port was a deal breaker for me. (excluding $$$)

ease718

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
i'm still underwhelmed.

i'm still using a 12" powerbook as a laptop, and a hac as my desktop.

I was really hoping for something like the modbook.

one usb and lack of other prots is a deal breaker though. Also my 12" alum is warped and strength is an issue for me.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
At first blush I thought it was going to the be flimsiest laptop ever. Then I tried one in my local Apple store and felt how solid it was, it completely changed my mind about the MBA. Definitely has Teh Sexy™ going for it.
And the lack of Firewire and a 2nd USB port was a deal breaker for me. (excluding $$$)
I've said this before -- here and elsewhere -- but if it came with a FireWire port (for target disk mode and my little Duet), I'd own one already.

Still, I'm very happy with with my 2.2GHz SR blackbook. :D

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
i wasnt blown away when it was introduced. but i HAD to see it, touch it, pick it up, before i could be sure. When i got to the apple store i thought....wow, its thin, its pretty and i dont really notice that the keyboard is black. i wouldnt buy one yet...im anxious to see if the new MBP go the same style direction. I need a little 'meat' to my laptop, so if the MBPs go the direction, im sold!

overall, yes. seeing it in person changed my opinion a lot!

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
To tell the truth, I didn't like the MBA at first, but then I realized it was a pretty awesomely portable computer and wanted one for a short period of time, but when I was in the Apple store, it broke my heart... it was just too wide (I know it doesn't look like a lot, but still) coming from a 12" PowerBook, so I'm sorry Apple, you need to revive the 12".

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
I haven't bought one, although I was really impressed when I saw one at Best Buy. What a great example of industrial design. It somehow reminded me of the design density of an ipod. Lots of stuff in that thin, sleek little package.

As I think about the "shortcomings" of the MBA, I am sitting here using my three year old 12" iBook. I can't remember the last time I used the iBook in a way that would be a problem for the MBA. Lack of ports? No problem, I rarely use more than one USB. Lack of ethernet port? I don't think my iBook has ever been hooked to an ethernet cable. Lack of optical drive? Maybe one or two times in the last year has it been fed a CD, and there would not be any problems if I had to do something else. Now, this iBook is not my primary computer. But I'll bet that few MBA's will be used as primary computers. Bottom line, for what I use a laptop computer for the MBA would be a reasonable option.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I wouldn't say I was a hater at all but when I got the chance to see one and touch it I was amazed. Clearly a great next-gen device. But it doesn't suit my needs and what it lacks is my main problem. I don't have a main computer so I went with the blackbook with a 250gb. Beautiful machine the MBA is though.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
From when I saw the keynote to when I saw it in the Apple Booth at Macworld I was always a "supporter" of the idea. I think it might be the next laptop I get however I am becoming quite partial to the blackbook.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I loved it from the moment it debuted. THEN I got my hands on it and used it and lost interest entirely.

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Yup. I didn't really care when it was introduced, but when I got a chance to see it, I was really taken with the feel of the thing, the super bright screen, the overall uniqueness and modernity.

It felt more like an instrument than an appliance, with everything disappearing except the screen and the input devices.

Unfortunately, after a string of defective ones, I gave up and bought an MBP.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Never had any interest in getting a laptop, but I wanted to do some OS X programming and I just don't have the time at home. I wanted something light and portable. The Air fit the bill. I saw one when they first came out at the Apple store. I thought it was cool, but never seriously considered it.

I've had mine for less than a day now, and I have to say its pretty cool so far. Obviously, it wins in the looks department, the screen is bright and easy to see. This thing just kicks butt in the wifi department. I have 3 Macs at home, and this thing blows them away for some unknown reason. I still can't believe how fast it is.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Not to be a downer, but I thought it was awesome, then I saw it it (and used it) and was left disappointed.

same here. I wanted to believe it was awesome, but i was left underwhelmed. The only things which grab me about it are the LED backlight (which will end up in the MacBook soon enough anyway) and the weight (or lack thereof). The thinness doesn't really phase me; I've never wished my MacBook was thinner, and the MBA is only 75% of the size. I'm not really going to notice 1/4" when I have a bag full of books.

The price and lack of speed, internal storage and expandability are huge deal breakers for me, and almost everyone around me. It almost cost as much as a MBP!

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
same here. I wanted to believe it was awesome, but i was left underwhelmed. The only things which grab me about it are the LED backlight (which will end up in the MacBook soon enough anyway) and the weight (or lack thereof). The thinness doesn't really phase me; I've never wished my MacBook was thinner, and the MBA is only 75% of the size. I'm not really going to notice 1/4" when I have a bag full of books.

The price and lack of speed, internal storage and expandability are huge deal breakers for me, and almost everyone around me. It almost cost as much as a MBP!

If every there was an ill conceived product this was it, there is no reason to buy one unless you want it as a novelty item.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
If every there was an ill conceived product this was it, there is no reason to buy one unless you want it as a novelty item.
Well if this is a hyperbole contest, I will say that your post is the most ill-conceived, inaccurate statement in the history of time. :D

Seriously though, the fact that the rest of the world loves this thing, kind of proves you wrong slightly. Just saying "it sucks" (or words to that effect), is not really a valid argument.

The Air is one of the most popular products Apple has made lately and everyone I know that actually has one loves it to death. I think this is the very point the thread starter was trying to make actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.