PDA

View Full Version : Installing hard drive to Mac Pro

jkaz
Apr 15, 2008, 10:04 PM
I installed a hard drive to a new Mac Pro, the physical install went fine.

When I booted the computer, it said the drive was not readable or usable or something along that lines so I went to disk utility and erased the hard drive with the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) setting selected.

Now the drive seems to work fine but I haven't tested it much.

Is everything ok with this drive now?

Is Journaled the best setting?

Is there a better setting to use for video editing?

Thanks!

The drive is: WD Caviar GP 500 GB SATA

aaronw1986
Apr 15, 2008, 10:56 PM
Those are the proper settings. Should be fine now.

mikebore
Apr 15, 2008, 11:15 PM
Those are the proper settings. Should be fine now.

What partition scheme did you chose? GUID, Apple or MBR?

GUID is usually recommended for Intel Macs and I always use this. It used to be the case that it had to be GUID to be bootable but I think there are exceptions to this.

In Disk Utility, you can tell which you have currently selecting the hard drive on the LHS (not the indented volume line) and looking at the bottom of the window where it says "Partition Map Scheme:"

To change it you chose the partition tab, select the number of patitions you want (which will be one if you don't want to partition) then click the options button to bring up the choices. This will reformat the drive again.

jazz1
Apr 16, 2008, 08:23 PM
What partition scheme did you chose? GUID, Apple or MBR?

GUID is usually recommended for Intel Macs and I always use this. It used to be the case that it had to be GUID to be bootable but I think there are exceptions to this.

In Disk Utility, you can tell which you have currently selecting the hard drive on the LHS (not the indented volume line) and looking at the bottom of the window where it says "Partition Map Scheme:"

To change it you chose the partition tab, select the number of patitions you want (which will be one if you don't want to partition) then click the options button to bring up the choices. This will reformat the drive again.

So then is GUID better/faster on a MacPro? If so I think I've messed up big time with my four drives. I read GUID was important for Time Machine on an external drive, but I didn't figure this out for the internal drives.

mikebore
Apr 17, 2008, 02:51 AM
So then is GUID better/faster on a MacPro? If so I think I've messed up big time with my four drives. I read GUID was important for Time Machine on an external drive, but I didn't figure this out for the internal drives.

I don't think better or faster comes into it, but you may not be able to boot from a drive which is not GUID. If you only want to use the drives for data you should be fine with the Apple Partition scheme (which I assume is what you have).

Mike

iFizz
Apr 17, 2008, 02:57 AM
As a general rule:

Use GUID for Intel Mac OSX
Use Apple Partition for PPC Mac OS
Use MBR for Windows

This is what Apple recommends. YMMV.