Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiveinchwrench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Hi everyone. I've got a dual 2.0 G5 that would randomly freeze. I already tried the reset PRAM, swap RAM, reinstall OS deal. I thought it might be the CPUs so I bought a set off eBay and it seemed to work a little better but it would still randomly lock up. It would run fine for days at a time-going to sleep and waking without a hitch. Now it will still come on like it should but every time it will lock up after a few minutes.
Anyway I took out one of the new CPUs and popped in one of the original ones and it's working pretty good again with the exception that it registers as a single 2.0 now instead of dual. It also won't go to sleep.
When it was working (as a dual), I could encode, rip, burn, everything as normal. It was even the server for our AppleTV and like I said would be great for days at a time. Then one day it just took a crap and now will barely work at all. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.