Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I think I've posted about this before, but if you have a notebook and can spare the time to (potentially) kernel panic your machine, I'd appreciate if some of you would give this a try:

With the PB (or iBook) on, plug in in any USB device. Close the lid of the PB, putting it to sleep. While the PB is asleep, unplug the USB device. Now open the lid to wake the PB. If your system is like mine, instant kernel panic, with the USB driver implicated in the screen dump.

I'd like to know if this is just me or if it's more general. It's a pretty serious problem, especially given the ergonomics of the PBG4, where the obvious thing to do at the end of the day is to close the lid and then unplug stuff from the back of the system (e.g. power, ethernet and USB devices).

Also, if the problem is more widespread, how would you guys recommend reporting this to so it has a snowball's chance of showing up on the task queue of an actual developer?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
It's just you

I just tried it. Closed the lid, unplugged the USB mouse, waited a few seconds and opened the lid again. There wasn't a kernel panic, but DAVE reported an error.

I tried it a couple more times, and didn't encounter any problems at all. Could be something faulty at your end.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yep, its just you. I did it and had no problem and no errors what so ever. Check to see if the USB device you're using has an extension that might be the problem. Also try other USB devices.

I'll try a zip dirve when I get home, that might really screw with it.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
knocking on wood...

I've yet to have a kernel panic...

and I've unplugged plenty of stuff while it was asleep and then woken it back up...

what version of X are u on? (I know...it's probably a stupid question)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I'm on 10.1.4.
Weird. I guess I'll have to dig around on my system and see what's messed up.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Weird.

I had a problem like that a couple of times since getting my powerbook, but it never was consistant. It happened only twice and I could never make it happen again, even doing the exact same thing.

Also, my problem wasn't necessarily a kernel panic. When the machine woke up, the screen was black.

Taft

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Kernel

I also have yet to have a kernel panic. I think its just you man, i tried it on my dads PowerBook, and nothing happened.

He has a PowerBook G3 500MHz Firewire with 10.1.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.