PDA

View Full Version : Mac user anger at laptop graphics glitch

MacBytes
Apr 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Mac user anger at laptop graphics glitch (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080416082405)
Description:: Mac users are complaining of graphics problems afflicting MacBooks, MacBook Pros

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

hob
Apr 16, 2008, 01:13 PM
anyone notice this glitch? I've not come across it myself...

RedTomato
Apr 16, 2008, 01:33 PM
Aye, I'm not sure exactly what they're referring to.

I sometimes get glitchy wma video with flip4mac, could that be it?

pjarvi
Apr 16, 2008, 01:43 PM
I haven't experienced a single glitch the article mentions. PICNIC

Nermal
Apr 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm glad that they've finally acknowledged the problem, it's about time! Roll on 10.5.3...

They have been enduring unusual visual corruption, in which text appears to have been duplicated, documents fail to scroll or videos appear to flicker.

Large blocks of text can sometimes disappear, and then will sometimes appear twice when scrolling. When playing games I've had rogue polygons appear out of nowhere, and in 3 or 4 cases the entire computer has frozen up. I never had any of these issues under Tiger and they started to appear almost immediately when I installed Leopard. However, although they do happen, they're not frequent enough for me to go to the trouble of reinstalling everything.

RedTomato
Apr 16, 2008, 03:15 PM
Large blocks of text can sometimes disappear, and then will sometimes appear twice when scrolling.

I had that, but only in firefox, and only when I had a massive amount of tabs open (30-odd) for days on end, with lots of flash open, and often restarting FF would sort it out.

Hasn't happened recently. I always thought it was a Firefox memory usage issue that eventually got fixed.

cheekybobcat
Apr 16, 2008, 03:40 PM
I haven't noticed anything odd. I have heard of the flickering video though.

Genghis Khan
Apr 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
haven't heard of this problem before

which is surprising as it would be quicker to count those of my friends with macbooks/mbps than those without.

how many people have heard of this problem?

Kilamite
Apr 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
Affects new MacBook/Pro's...I assume the very recently updated Penryn ones?

I haven't experienced any issues reported with my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro.

PCMacUser
Apr 16, 2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds like drivers... although it's strange that it would affect Macbooks since there's nothing fancy about that graphics chipset.

Chundles
Apr 16, 2008, 09:21 PM
Nothing I can see on my BlackBook (only two days old - seems fine).

*Touches wood*...

Mackilroy
Apr 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
Never had any issues on my 2.0 GHz CD MacBook...

Nermal
Apr 17, 2008, 12:17 AM
I had that, but only in firefox, and only when I had a massive amount of tabs open (30-odd) for days on end, with lots of flash open, and often restarting FF would sort it out.

I had it in Safari, with maybe one or two tabs open. The polygon issue happens several times per week in WoW.

LaDirection
Apr 17, 2008, 01:16 AM
Affects new MacBook/Pro's...I assume the very recently updated Penryn ones?

I haven't experienced any issues reported with my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro.

Yes. This is a well known problem with Penryn based Apple laptops. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-04-15/#8115

Nermal
Apr 17, 2008, 02:21 AM
Yes. This is a well known problem with Penryn based Apple laptops.

Hmm, mine's a 2006 model (original C2D), is that Penryn?

Chundles
Apr 17, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hmm, mine's a 2006 model (original C2D), is that Penryn?

Nope, Penryn is the processor in the early 2008 models.

Nermal
Apr 17, 2008, 02:49 AM
Interesting. "Well known with Penryn laptops" ... does that mean that it happens a lot with Penryn systems, or only with Penryns? If it's the latter, then I have to wonder what's wrong with mine!

dmarch
Apr 17, 2008, 08:33 AM
I occasionally have the scrolling issue with my 2.4 SR MBP. Apple has suggested the one size fits all answer of reinstall of OSX. Seems like as good a time as any to upgrade HDD, so tomorrow it's off to local authorized repair center for install of WD 320GB HDD and clean install.

Kilamite
Apr 17, 2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting. "Well known with Penryn laptops" ... does that mean that it happens a lot with Penryn systems, or only with Penryns? If it's the latter, then I have to wonder what's wrong with mine!

Only with the new Penryn processor.

Analog Kid
Apr 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
Pages will occasionally render text badly after scrolling, but I'm using a Mac Pro so I think it's something different.

Luap
Apr 17, 2008, 05:09 PM
You'd think Apple might have sorted out their act after the fairly recent "Freezing iMac" debacle. To a certain extent, the problem affected Mac Pro's with the similar graphics cards too.
Still, at least Apple has contacted customers about it, and acknowledged the problem in the first place.

Apple really needs to get themselves under control and stop this kind of thing happening. Much of their reputation depends on it. The PC luddites laugh when this happens, and the switchers end up wishing they never switched "So much for 'It just works!'" etc. I'd hate to see any more of that..

hob
Apr 17, 2008, 06:56 PM
I think the "flickering video" issue is something I've noticed before. It's also noticeable with certain embedded QuickTime videos that look desaturated, until you change volume or brightness - basically put a transparent object over the top of the video, then it changes to the right colour... very weird. Also noticeable in RealPlayer...

hob
Apr 18, 2008, 07:08 AM
I just noticed this glitch, is this what I'm meant to be angry about? :p

http://www.robmac.net/blog/?p=7

hexonxonx
Apr 18, 2008, 07:23 AM
My two week old black MacBook has been perfect in every way.

yaz
May 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
I have a Penryn MBP and am experiencing similar problems to those already posted except I get glitches when switching between spaces and using quick look. Is it the same problem? Im guessing all will be sorted by 10.5.3 but would like some reassurance. peace