PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme with Netgear MR814v2

alphajc
Nov 12, 2003, 05:43 PM
I just received my Airport Extreme Card today for my G4 iBook.

I installed it, Panther recognized it and everything seemed fine.

The Netgear router recognized the MAC address, which I then added to the access list and then the computer was able to see the network called "Netgear".

Then I go to the drop-down menu for Airport and select Netgear. Nothing happens. I try this 10 times nothing happens. The computer seems ignore my attempts to try and connect to the Netgear router.

Then I tried using the "Open Internet Connect". I select "Netgear" under "Network:" and again nothing happens. It immediately reverts back to "No Network Selected" under Network.

Then I tried the "Network Setup Assistant" and instructed the program to connect to Netgear. I then get the error message "Unable to Connect to Network".

It seems like the Airport Extreme Card is just flat out refusing to connect to the router like it hates it or something. My Dell laptop and my old G3 iBook (non-extreme) connected to it just fine.

And of course I've tried turning off & on both the laptop and router which didn't help.

Please help. I'm trying to figure out if there is a solution to this or to see if the Airport Extreme Card is defective. Thank you.

bennyek
Nov 12, 2003, 07:22 PM
You need to update the firmware on your router. I had the same problem and the newest firmware fixed it. check netgears website

fugeelama
Nov 12, 2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah, same here. But I have found another problem... when waking from sleep, my iBook has trouble reconnecting to the router! The Airport card assigns itself an IP, and recognizes the router, but it won't reconnect! It acts just like it used to before updating the router firmware. The only think that fixes it is resetting the router, and resetting my Airport connection. Any ideas?

alphajc
Nov 12, 2003, 08:42 PM
I updated my router from 5.0 => 5.01 => 5.02 and that fixed it. Works like a charm now.

Thanks for your help...this forum is the best!

Chealion
Nov 13, 2003, 11:58 AM
I had a similar problem, but my router (same one) had the right firmware, and upon setting up the iBook it recognized and used the router just fine.

But, now it will "connect" in that it says it has connected to the router, but it won't get an IP address. I turned off all security to see if it would help, but so far nothing. I haven't been able to test if the Extreme Card has crapped out however.

I did update to Airport 3.2, and 10.3.1, but the problem seemed to start after installing 3.2, and going back to 3.1 by reinstalling Mac OS X (wipe and install) didn't help any.