PDA

View Full Version : QT6 and Jaguar (10.2): Late Summer

arn
May 7, 2002, 01:20 PM
CNet reports (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-901019.html?legacy=cnet&tag=pt.mrktwtch.story.alrt.9854859) that Apple will be releasing Quicktime 6 with Jaguar:

Apple Computer said Monday that it would release QuickTime 6 late this summer, even though it has yet to resolve a licensing dispute over a new file format it plans to adopt.

mcrain
May 7, 2002, 01:30 PM
Wow, they must be pretty confident that they will get that licensing snafu settled. You wouldn't think they would get themselves on the hood for something they may not be able to deliver.

Backtothemac
May 7, 2002, 01:30 PM
Well, personally I am looking forward to both. I am holding out hope that X.2 will be faster than it is now. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my system, but we can always use a little more speed :cool:

Anyway, I hope that it is a mild cost for the upgrade. Till next time.

mywar2000
May 7, 2002, 01:33 PM
The " Death of OS9" ?! Not yet, prepare to wait some more!
What the heck is taking so long with this licsensing dispute anyway?
I'm so sick of waiting...

eric_n_dfw
May 7, 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by mywar2000
The " Death of OS9" ?! Not yet, prepare to wait some more!
What the heck is taking so long with this licsensing dispute anyway?
I'm so sick of waiting...
What's that got to do with QT6?
AFAIK, QT 6 will be available for both platforms, just at QT 5 is.

Backtothemac
May 7, 2002, 01:41 PM
OMG, how bad would it suck if Steve said, "Now go to Apple's site and download QT6 for OS X. There will not be an OS 9 version as OS 9 development has stopped."

yep, that would bring out some flamethrowers.

lucs
May 7, 2002, 01:42 PM
I agree. Apple would not risk their asses unless this licensing dispute was drawing closer to an end...my friends, MPG4 will roxor, OS X will be one step closer to consolidating its position as the os of the future.

I cant wait till i get a new computer to take advantage of all the goodies....i'm sick and tired of seeing my pc-owning friends make fun of my powerbook because it can't run divx movies propertly...

revenge will be cool, and by cool i mean totally sweet

Rocketman
May 7, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Wow, they must be pretty confident that they will get that licensing snafu settled. You wouldn't think they would get themselves on the hood for something they may not be able to deliver.

I suspect the following:

Being 10.2 (a major upgrade) they need to KNOW when it will be released independent of minor issues. They need time to gear up for a production run of shrink wrapped boxes.

The lisencing issue while not settled is in a late stage of negotiations where they probably know the lisencing model will be one of three possible final outcomes, any one of which is fine for 10.2, whether or not it optimizes consumer preference or Apple preference (no end user content lisence).

I would trust them to do what is right for their millions of users and to a large degree what is right for the lisence holders while recognizing the realities of time to market and time to populate the channel. It takes a while to physically ship an OS worldwide.

I suspect the date to HAVE OSX.2 in consumers hands is 9-3-02 for schools.

I could be wrong, but that is so rare, I have ruled it out.

Rocketman

jelloshotsrule
May 7, 2002, 01:51 PM
i can't wait for both of these arrivals.

the list of new things with jaguar just kept growing yesterday (as listed on maccentral) and it just got better and better.... it will be good.

soosy
May 7, 2002, 02:06 PM
I'm excited too. I'm wondering what they DIDN'T announce about 10.2.

You know they have to save a little bit of surprise for MWNY unless that expo will rely solely on hardware announcements.

What user features that aren't necessarily developer related can we guess at for 10.2..... appearance themes? another i-app?

I don't know... but I doubt they've told us EVERYTHING about 10.2.

-Soosy

Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i can't wait for both of these arrivals.

the list of new things with jaguar just kept growing yesterday (as listed on maccentral) and it just got better and better.... it will be good.

Mr. Anderson
May 7, 2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
OMG, how bad would it suck if Steve said, "Now go to Apple's site and download QT6 for OS X. There will not be an OS 9 version as OS 9 development has stopped."

yep, that would bring out some flamethrowers.

The scary thing is, is that it really could happen. OS9 would be stuck with QT5. But with the release of QT6 there will most likely be an upgrade to iMovie, FCP, and Cinema tools so that it can take advantage of the MPEG-4 codec.

I could care less about Jag-wire, give me QuickTime6!

Billicus
May 7, 2002, 04:59 PM
This may be totally off the subject, but doesn't Sherlock 3 look a lot like Watson???

robotrenegade
May 7, 2002, 05:59 PM
All these new updates sound great. As soon as 10.2 comes out, I'm going shopping.

King Cobra
May 7, 2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

The scary thing is, is that it really could happen. OS9 would be stuck with QT5. But with the release of QT6 there will most likely be an upgrade to iMovie, FCP, and Cinema tools so that it can take advantage of the MPEG-4 codec.

I agree, dukestreet. I even posted possible updates for Apple products that would support such a codec.

Yours Truly posted this as Post 158:
Well, I personally favor Apple's plans to support the (what better be real soon) finished licenses for MPEG-4. I cannot wait.

A few quick questions: I noticed that Final Cut Pro 3 lacked support for MPEG technology (import, export, etc.). I was wondering if since Apple is going to start out with adopting Quicktime to MPEG licenses, what if Apple compiled applications, such as iTunes 3, or Final Cut Pro 4, or even iMovie 3, that would support the new MPEG?

Also, what else would you guys like to see added to Quicktime other than MPEG support? I personally would like to see Apple open up a separate window for viewing TV buttons. And if Apple can allow users of the free player to watch movies in full screen I would appreciate it. RealNetworks and Windows Media Player have done it (in poor quality like none other), so why should we pay $30 to get this feature?

Finally, I noticed that Quicktime 5 had three previews and a preview usage deadline. These previews seemed to last around four months. Would this happen with the QT6 Preview? And can you guys wait four months for the final of QT6? I wouldn't.

I still stand by my prediction.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

agent302
May 7, 2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Actually, they wouldn't even have to do that. When Quicktime gets updated, those apps will automatically get access to the new codec. At least, that's what happened when QT got the updated Sorenson 3 codec (I know b/c I encoded an iMovie without). So, QT 6, get here soon!

j763
May 8, 2002, 01:31 AM
Apple really wants to get the licensing issue with MPEG-LA solved... I think that the main reason they've given us *so* much info about 10.2 is to pressure MPEG-LA. MPEG-LA know that if Apple walk out of the negotiations and don't support MPEG4, it will almost certaintly cause the technology to be a failure. So, Apple's set a date for MPEG LA to finally put an end to this license dispute.

Now, for MWNY, i think that we'll probably see a new digital device and new cpu's. they've got the software side of things covered for a while now... unless we see another i-App. However, I doubt that apple want to make heaps of iApps, because beginners will find it a bit daunting: iChat, iVideoConference, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD... etc.

bennyjhonson
May 9, 2002, 11:12 AM
lucs:
tell your pc friends to eat a bag of d**ks. let them see a properly ripped quicktime (3ivx/vp3) flick with chapter tracks, and multiple audio tracks. their divx crap will not be so impressive then.

fyi:
http://doctor.3ivx.com/

get divx doctor 2 and you can play all those divx files your friends have on your mac.

bennyjhonson