PDA

View Full Version : Ibook help!

sourpatchkidACB
Apr 16, 2008, 12:23 PM
I have a 466 clamshell ibook with 320 RAM and OS 9 installed. How do I update it and since OS 9 is old, will the programs on the hard drive work with a newer version of OS? :confused: Please help!

Raid
Apr 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
I updated a clamshell iBook not too long ago with OS 10.3.9 (the most up-to-date system the machine will run) and it worked fine. 10.3.9 still comes with Classic on it so all the old programs running on OS 9 should work ok. You might want to upgrade the RAM to 512 if you can... it will never be a speed demon but it will help!

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
I have a 466 clamshell ibook with 320 RAM and OS 9 installed. How do I update it and since OS 9 is old, will the programs on the hard drive work with a newer version of OS? :confused: Please help!

Does this 466mhz have a firewire port? Then it is capable of running Tiger 10.4. Add a 512mb stick in there and possibly a larger hard drive if you haven't done so already. You will be able to run Classic environment on Tiger so you can use all of your old programs or still boot into OS9 if you need to.

sourpatchkidACB
Apr 16, 2008, 05:54 PM
Does this 466mhz have a firewire port? Then it is capable of running Tiger 10.4. Add a 512mb stick in there and possibly a larger hard drive if you haven't done so already. You will be able to run Classic environment on Tiger so you can use all of your old programs or still boot into OS9 if you need to.

Mine does have a firewire port and yea i do need to upgrade the hard drive, it's only 20gb:(