Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
My iBook has come down with a severe case of wierdness. The screen cuts out then comes back and cuts out and comes back over and over then the book locks up. Then on the reboot i hear the chime, but nothing else. I power it on seval times and maybe it might work. I think its logic board.

Anyone wanna bet on what it is? Im taking it in tomorow.

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
Re: Oh no! iBook going nuts!

Originally posted by rhpenguin
My iBook has come down with a severe case of wierdness. The screen cuts out then comes back and cuts out and comes back over and over then the book locks up. Then on the reboot i hear the chime, but nothing else. I power it on seval times and maybe it might work. I think its logic board.

Anyone wanna bet on what it is? Im taking it in tomorow.

That has happened to my wife's iBook twice. Hers turned out to be the logic board both times. It was replaced under Applecare both times without any problems.

We had two other conditions you didn't mention. The track pad would freeze up and the display had lines/bars going across.

Eventually the iBook would not boot anymore, or if it did, the screen was completely dead.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
I had the same probelm; twice. Both times it was the logic board.

They replaced mine within 3 days of reporting it :D

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Me too...dead logic board. It's on its way back from Apple at the moment. If you check out the Apple support forums you'll see that it's sadly quite common. If it's outside of Applecare you're screwed....

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
How come the iBook's logic boards always break? I've seen so many of these cases. Thats why i dont want to buy a new G4 iBook. It scares me. And I have this G4 Powerbook 500Mhz, and its the best...i throw it around and it still hasn't broke >knock on wood<

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.