PDA

View Full Version : Disk images don't mount

jamdr
Nov 12, 2003, 07:32 PM
I'm using a clean install of OS X 10.3.1 on a PowerBook G4 and no disk images will mount. Fails every time on any .dmg file I try to download and mount. Can anyone help me?

mtnbiker74
Nov 13, 2003, 11:36 AM
I have the same annoying problem. I was told to reinstall the 10.3.1 update but I don't have another mac to open a .dmg file. Also, I was told to reinstall 10.3..wanted to do a Archive/Install but the installer won't let me because I am using a "newer" version. My only option at this point is to do a "clean" installation of 10.3 that came with my PowerBook.

Interestingly enough...I just got my PowerBook yesterday! Booted up my new mac, installed a few apps..ran the software update automatically to 10.3.1 and I couldnt mount images any more..I am not happy with reinstalling the whole OS as my only option. If anyone can shed some light on this problem it would really be appriciated! :) Thanks!

jamdr
Nov 13, 2003, 12:07 PM
Well, out of frustration, I finally just did a clean reinstall of 10.3.0 and it worked. My PowerBook is also just a day old, and the first time I started it up, software update ran and updated the system to 10.3.1. I didn't try to mount any images before the update, but since it works now with 10.3.0, I assume it also did before. That leaves the 10.3.1 update as the problem, which is really disappointing. Apple needs to stop releasing "updates" that do more harm than good.

By the way, what model is your PowerBook. I have the 12". I wonder if this is specific to certain hardware, because no one else here seems to have this problem with 10.3.1.

mtnbiker74
Nov 13, 2003, 01:16 PM
I also have the 12" PowerBook G4, but I noticed that this problem has happend on other system besides the PB. The Apple Forums on Apple.com has a slew of other users that have this problem on different kinds of hardware...the only thing in common is that they all recently upgraded to 10.3.1.

jelloshotsrule
Nov 13, 2003, 01:41 PM
i have this problem (and have had it with both 10.3.0 and .1) on my dual 2ghz

it's annoying to say the least

can you mount the images with toast?

Nicky G
Nov 15, 2003, 12:13 AM
Do you folks do any troubleshooting at all, or just whine about problems you apparently can't even begin to try to solve? I am really curious, not trying to dis.

Did you try repairing permissions?

Did you try doing it as a different user?

If you did and it still didn't work, did you try an Archive and Install (preserving user data and network settings)? If that fixes it, did you even bother trying to reinstall the 10.3.1 update to see if the issue is repeatable?

jamdr
Nov 15, 2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Nicky G
Do you folks do any troubleshooting at all, or just whine about problems you apparently can't even begin to try to solve? I am really curious, not trying to dis.

Did you try repairing permissions?

Did you try doing it as a different user?

If you did and it still didn't work, did you try an Archive and Install (preserving user data and network settings)? If that fixes it, did you even bother trying to reinstall the 10.3.1 update to see if the issue is repeatable?

Wow, you're a great guy, buddy. Did you ever think that maybe some of us here are new to OS X and have no idea what "repairing permissions" is or how to do it. As for trying to mount images as a different user, I don't see how that's related at all, and most people trying a logical approach to solve this problem would not think to try this. If you have any other arbitrary, time-consuming tasks to waste my time, let me know. Maybe chanting while running around in circles will help, too.

And your suggestion of reinstalling the system software may be valid, but that is also very time consuming, and I'd rather post a thread here first to find out if there is an easier solution. If that offends you, then don't read it, and you certainly don't have to reply. Also, why would I reinstall a flawed update if it has already caused me so many problems. I bought my new PowerBook to get work done, not to waste my time installing and reinstalling system software. Sorry if I seem rude, but I don't understand why you have to go through the trouble of posting a nasty response to a problem you obviously have no understanding of.