PDA

View Full Version : NBC to Apple: Build antipiracy into iTunes

MacBytes
Apr 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: NBC to Apple: Build antipiracy into iTunes (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080417104626)
Description:: Don't worry about DRM it's a waste of time.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

AliensAreFuzzy
Apr 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
I find this completely ridiculous, not to mention nearly impossible to implement. How is Apple supposed to determine whether a video has been pirated or not? In terms of music, there is really no way to differentiate an mp3 file downloaded from the internet from one that was ripped off a CD by you. Would they simply not allow any video that wasn't bought off the iTunes Store to be put on the iPod? But if they did that, video podcasts would be SOL. Really, I think NBC has to pull their collective heads out of their bums and work out a realistic deal.

podvisual
Apr 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
unreal

dashiel
Apr 17, 2008, 10:20 AM
ok lets see, macrovision invents copy protection for DVDs that fails miserably within months of release. sony spends millions to create copy protection for CDs that fails with nothing more than a marker. HD-DVD has "unbreakable" copy protection that fails within months of release. Blu-ray has HD-DVDs' protection and another "unbreakable" layer - it too got broken.

apple's way too smart to throw good money after bad on something that will never work.

here's a newsflash morons. instead of investing billions of dollars trying to stop something that will never be stopped - why not just reduce prices? instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars suing people for "stealing" mp3s - why not just reduce prices? instead of spending millions of dollars re-creating the wheel with things like hulu, why not use the resources that exist and reduce prices.

AliensAreFuzzy
Apr 17, 2008, 10:32 AM
here's a newsflash morons. instead of investing billions of dollars trying to stop something that will never be stopped - why not just reduce prices? instead of spending hundreds of millions of dollars suing people for "stealing" mp3s - why not just reduce prices? instead of spending millions of dollars re-creating the wheel with things like hulu, why not use the resources that exist and reduce prices.

I totally agree with this. I would buy so many more movies and TV shows if they were cheaper. Like $5 for a movie or $20 for a season of TV. I wouldn't even have to think about it. If I saw something, I could just be like "Hey that looks good" and buy it.

elppa
Apr 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
ok lets see, macrovision invents copy protection for DVDs that fails miserably within months of release. sony spends millions to create copy protection for CDs that fails with nothing more than a marker. HD-DVD has "unbreakable" copy protection that fails within months of release. Blu-ray has HD-DVDs' protection and another "unbreakable" layer - it too got broken.

Ah, but these were all DRM-based technologies. This guy wants Apple to use mythical “anti-piracy” technology which will never exist.

LethalWolfe
Apr 17, 2008, 10:58 AM
That makes the big assumption that piracy is used as a form of civil disobedience to enact change. Which it might be to a small few, but to the masses it's just a way to get ***** for free or nearly free. The experiments of Radio Head and NIN releasing albums online are just the most recent examples of how piracy isn't about fighting against the "evil corporations" or fighting for artists' rights it's about people taking ***** for free in the comfort of their own homes.

Lethal

pauldy
Apr 17, 2008, 11:14 AM
If this has any kernel of truth and Apple moves forward causing my experience in iTunes to suffer in the least I will never watch another NBC show again. Of course Apple has told NBC to shove off before heres to hopping they have the fortitude to repeat themselves.

maxrobertson
Apr 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
If this has any kernel of truth and Apple moves forward causing my experience in iTunes to suffer in the least I will never watch another NBC show again. Of course Apple has told NBC to shove off before heres to hopping they have the fortitude to repeat themselves.

I have a lot of faith in Apple to keep up with this. And thank God. We all know that no other company would give up money to keep in good standing with their users. This is why Apple survived the 90's and why it will continue to survive. Making your users happy is good business.

jettredmont
Apr 17, 2008, 08:03 PM
"They can mark up the price and make a profit or use it as a loss leader to get people in the door," Kliavkoff said. "It's really difficult for us to work with any distribution partner who says 'Here's the wholesale price and the retail price,' especially when the price doesn't reflect the full value of the product."

So you don't mind them setting one price, but setting two is just out of the question. So, let Apple set the wholesale price and you set the retail price. Better? No? Oh. I see, this whole thing about them being absolutely free to set the retail price is 100% irrelevant. You are upset because they say they won't pay your exhorbitant price for your content, but instead are sticking to a non-"loss leader" wholesale price which makes sense for everyone.

You are absolutely 100% free to set your wholesale price, dude. Apple just doesn't have to pay it. Oh, and if Apple doesn't pay it and make your content available legitimately, a whole host of customers will just download it for free instead.

"The music industry guys would have something to say about how the pricing has affected their product over the last few years," he added.

Yes, I'm sure the Music Industry would be going absolutely gangbusters had Apple not convinced them to go with $0.99 per track. How many tracks you think they'd have sold at $2.99 apiece by now? I'm guessing it would at least be in the thousands by now!

"If you look at studies about MP3 players, especially leading MP3 players and what portion of that content is pirated, and think about how that content gets onto that device, it has to go through a gatekeeping piece of software, which would be a convenient place to put some antipiracy measures,"

The "gatekeeping piece of software" presumably being iTunes, and "MP3" being an obvious allegory to "M4V".

Just what, pray tell, could such hypothetical bit of "gatekeeping software" do to enforce antipiracy measures, which would not tend to inconvenience people with legal content moreso than minimally competent "pirates"? Music and video pattern matching software has an atrociously high false-positive rate when set sensitive enough to catch any real positive matches, with a large CPU profile and necessary access to the internet. And in any case, the effectiveness of the "gatekeeper" at inconveniencing pirates simply means that they will turn to an alternative (and freely available) "gatekeeper" application without this workflow bug.

How would iTunes possibly distinguish between the DRM-free track I legitimately bought off Amazon and the identical track my neighbor downloaded from bittorrent? Would DRM-free music disappear in this fantasy world, marked as pirated and ostracized from polite society?

Why would Apple possibly want to implement such a marketshare-killing suicide pill feature? So it can sell your lethargic Fall lineup? Or is it so it can propel another one of your failing shows to internet stardom and fan heaven?

Seems like no upside for Apple, and a huge downside. I for one would drop iTunes in a minute if it ever accused me of stealing music video or music.

This guy's obviously just blowing smoke. The funny thing is, he probably really believes it.

zap2
Apr 17, 2008, 09:24 PM
WTF?

Thats a stupid comment....I can't even imagine how NBC would want Apple to do that, but I'd guess it would involve spyware everywhere from iTunes.

Apple's won't do it, no company would, its suicide.

odin!
Apr 18, 2008, 12:15 AM
iTunes NBC Edition: Because Comet Cursor on Windows needed a companion on the Mac!!!

stagi
Apr 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
i just hope more sales keep increasing from other studios and NBC will see the bad decision they made and come back to apple on their terms