Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FCDP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm currently trying to Mount several different folders from one windows network server in OSX, though, after mounting the first folder from the server as a network drive, all other attempts to mount other folders from the same server as different network drives doesn't seem to work.

This problem occurs when trying to add the different directories through the finder "Connect to Server..." window.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
I take it those 70 views were from people hoping I had the solution? :D
...or unable to answer because:

(a) "WorksForMe!"
(b) Not enough info.

What type of server? EDIT: I see now that you specifed a 'windows' server, but more detail will help...
- Windows Server (specify NT4, 2k, 2k3, 2k8)
- Windows (not server, specify 98/NT4/2k/XP/Vista)
- Linux/BSD/Solaris/other *nix (which one, and version) running SaMBa (which version)

What version of OS X (10.2/3/4/5) on the client machine?

If you're using a Mac in a Windows2003 server environment, is the Mac bound to the Active Directory domain using Kerberos, and using an Active Directory login account? If using a local account on the machine, is it at least part of the corresponding workgroup? Or is it just 'out of the box', no special configuration, and you're trying to mount the volumes?

What are the permissions like on these shared volumes
- are they all 'Public' (no username/password required)?
- are they all authenticated using the same user/password?
- are they authenticated using different usernames/passwords?
- are they a mix of Public and authenticated volumes?

Does the same behaviour happen regardless of *which* of the shared volumes you mount first?

What is the EXACT syntax that you're putting in the 'connect to server' dialogue?

Answer as much of that as you can, and it'll be very helpful.

FCDP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Alright then, a little background. I've brought a MacBook Pro into an office enviorment of mostly windows machines, though there are a few Mac Pros on the network, and several laptops as well. All Windows laptops on the network are currently using a Batch file that runs on startup to mount multiple directories from the office server as separate network volumes, as the laptops are usually taken out of the office on a daily basis. I'd like to do the same on the MBP.

I had looked into doing it with AppleScript, and found several different articles and posts regarding how to mount a single directory from a server on the network as a volume, but not multiple directories from the same server as different volumes.

What type of server? EDIT: I see now that you specifed a 'windows' server, but more detail will help...
- Windows Server (specify NT4, 2k, 2k3, 2k8)
- Windows (not server, specify 98/NT4/2k/XP/Vista)
- Linux/BSD/Solaris/other *nix (which one, and version) running SaMBa (which version)

I believe it's either an XP or Vista box, though I cannot be sure as I don't have access to it.

What version of OS X (10.2/3/4/5) on the client machine?
OS X 10.5

What are the permissions like on these shared volumes
- are they all 'Public' (no username/password required)?
- are they all authenticated using the same user/password?
- are they authenticated using different usernames/passwords?
- are they a mix of Public and authenticated volumes?
They are all authenticated using the same user/password. The directories are all on the same box.

Does the same behaviour happen regardless of *which* of the shared volumes you mount first?
Any order and only the first one appears on the desktop as mounted.

What is the EXACT syntax that you're putting in the 'connect to server' dialogue?
For server Address:
smb://servername/Directory

A bit of a side note, I can easily access all of the directories by accessing the server computer listed under "Network" in the finder. I can then "connect as" using my username and password and access the directories that way, but if possible, I'd like to mount the separate directories as volumes as is done on our windows machines. I hope this is enough information, as I'm currently not in the office to get exact details regarding the type of windows box we run on.

joelclark

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
After looking all over the web with no avail, I think I've figured out a workaround. If you connect to the server, you can then put shortcuts on the desktop for each folder you want to be able to access. Then open up the Preferences in Finder and uncheck "connected servers". I also changed the icons of the folders to match the icon of a connected server. I have yet to thoroughly test this theory, but it's better than nothing....

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Okay, first of all, there is no such thing as "mapping folders" or "network drives" on a Mac. Put the whole concept of "mapping" and "drives" into the Windows Recycle Bin of your Windows brains, and empty it. It is of no use to you now, and will only confuse you.;)

You will have to try to understand what the Mac is doing here. Once you do, you may not like it, but at least you'll have a better idea of why.

What you're doing, on a Mac, is mounting volumes. And as far as the Mac is concerned, only whole shares can be volumes.

So if you have, on the Windows server:

C:\sharedfolder\ (a share)
which cointains
C:\sharedfolder\subfolder1 (not a share)
C:\sharedfolder\subfolder2 (not a share)

and you try to mount
smb://win-server/sharedfolder/subfolder1

The Mac will happily mount SHAREDFOLDER and leave it up to you to find the subfolder you wanted inside it.

If you then try to mount
smb://pc-server/sharedfolder/subfolder2
the Mac will tell you that, indeed, you are already connected to the share (SHAREDFOLDER) and will not understand why you wanted to mount that same share a second time.

If you really want to mount subfolder1 and subfolder2 as seperate volumes, you (or the Windows server admin) will have to share each of those folders as a seperate share.

And once again:
1. Forget the word "mapping."
2. Forget the word "drive."

llbbl

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
We are all doing a great job of explaining it without finding a solution, so I will continue more in this direction.

What the issue is trying to mount two different folders on the same samba share as separate Volumes.

When you try to mount to the 2nd folder on the same share it opens with Finder the first folder you have mapped or mounted as a Volume.

To further aggravate matters, because your chrooted to the folder you mounted the first time you can't see anything above it or in a different directory structure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.