PDA

View Full Version : 2gb ram with Vmware fusion/Parallels

shahvikram123
Apr 17, 2008, 03:15 PM
I was just wondering how much of a speed increase I will see if I was to increase my memory from 1gb to 2gb with regards to having Windows XP in a vm such as vmware fusion or parellels.

I would probably allocate 1gb for the mac side and 1gb for the vm itself (xp)...

and another question; what vm do you lot think is faster with loading a vm, vmware fusion or parellels?

chscag
Apr 17, 2008, 04:15 PM
I was just wondering how much of a speed increase I will see if I was to increase my memory from 1gb to 2gb with regards to having Windows XP in a vm such as vmware fusion or parellels.

I would probably allocate 1gb for the mac side and 1gb for the vm itself (xp)...

and another question; what vm do you lot think is faster with loading a vm, vmware fusion or parellels?

Go with the 2 Gb or even better, buy and install 4 Gb. Memory is inexpensive so there's no point skimping unless you're short on cash.:(

As for which VM loads faster, why not download a trial version of both Fusion and Parallels and give them a try. Then you decide.

Regards.

Uoila
Apr 17, 2008, 07:26 PM
a world of difference!

I agree, go with 4 if you can. moving from 1 to 2 and hopefull 4 with give both xp AND osx more breathing room. Trust me, it will be noticeable.

maestrocasa
Apr 17, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm running Fusion on my MBP with 2gb RAM and don't have any trouble. Fusion works great. Haven't tried parallels but went with fusion based on reviews i read here.

cmturner2
Apr 17, 2008, 08:11 PM
I just ordered the 4GB kit from OWC yesterday for $90. More == Better.

BlackThunder
Apr 19, 2008, 02:12 AM
VM is so much better than parallels. I used parallels first and loved it.. then I tried VMware and felt like an idiot for not trying it sooner. It loads quicker, and the setup is soooo much easier than with Parallels. And it runs flawlessly.

I had the occasional glitch with Parallels. Both programs are good, but VM seems to be the clear winner.

And I allocate 1gb ram to Windows XP on VMware.... and I have 3.3 in my macbook.

Beric
Apr 19, 2008, 02:13 AM
I've got 2GB and have never needed more.

But yeah, 1GB ram is NOT going to be enough for your needs. And if you're running Windows, why not get 4GB?

chezza
Apr 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
VM is so much better than parallels. I used parallels first and loved it.. then I tried VMware and felt like an idiot for not trying it sooner. It loads quicker, and the setup is soooo much easier than with Parallels. And it runs flawlessly.

I had the same experience.

shahvikram123
Apr 19, 2008, 10:32 AM
And if you're running Windows, why not get 4GB?

Well 4gb may be an overkill, im not going to be loading the vm everyday, just occasionally, maybe about once a week maybe 2....

how do you lot recomend a allocate my ram,

512bm to guest and 1.5gb for the host
or 1gb for the host and 1gb for the guest...

im really looking to boost the load time of the vm....

CWallace
Apr 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
XP will run better with 1GB then 512MB.

I have 4GB in my iMac and I dedicate 1.5GB to XP (in Parallels) leaving 2.5GB for the Mac. Then again, I generally work separately in each so neither OS is starved for memory since they're only doing on thing each.