Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Alright so I recently acquired an old iMac G3. It's decent except for a couple of problems.

The first problem is that it was from a school in my town and they have the administrator password protected. I called the teacher of the class that had these and she gave me the password, but it didn't work. It must not have been her computer so I don't know the password and I can change any settings. I can log into student just fine. Is there a way to get in without the password or change the password?

The second problem might be related to the first, but I can't get on the internet. I plugged in my ethernet cord and in Network Settings it says it's connected, but when I try to get on the internet using either Safari or Firefox it says it cannot connect to the server. How can I get on the internet?

Alright that's it for now, thanks for any replies!

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
as far as the password, best thing would be to get the original or retail install discs. you can change it from the installer.

as for the internet, the computer may have had a static IP address at the school, but on your home network you likely need to set the ethernet connection to DHCP.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
That would be a problem because I only have access to a Leopard install disc.

I would change that setting, but I need administrator privileges... Arg!

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I'd just try to get in touch with the school's IT person

alternatively, Panther discs are pretty cheap on eBay, even Tiger is not that bad.

or, if you find someone with another Mac running 10.4 or less, you could always clone their system onto your Mac, if you don't mind breaking the EULA.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
I would ask the school if they have the original discs for the computer. You have to know SOMEONE who would have some 10.1 discs or something. If that doesn't work maybe check some torrent sites for it. You can't buy it anymore i assume that's not wrong of me to encourage?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Always try to get the machine to ask for the the initial setup stuff again -- try to get the mac to ask for a new admin & password.

Reboot and hold down command-s

At the prompts type

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
Always try to get the machine to ask for the the initial setup stuff again -- try to get the mac to ask for a new admin & password.

At the prompts type

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

I'm directing people to you from now on.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007

At the prompts type

/sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
/sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
reboot [Enter]

Wow I pretty much love you.

That worked perfectly, I set up my new account and was able to modify all the settings and now I'm sharing my internet connection from my MB to my iMac. Perfection.

Thanks a ton!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Wow I pretty much love you.

That worked perfectly, I set up my new account and was able to modify all the settings and now I'm sharing my internet connection from my MB to my iMac. Perfection.

Thanks a ton!

That is the OS X equivalent of OS 9s, tossing the multiuser preference in the trash.

Edit: and the reality of the situation, the firmware password that prevents all these easy changes -- isn't that much harder to defeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.