PDA

View Full Version : Im going to buy a g4 Cube

krypticos
Apr 18, 2008, 06:34 AM
Hello, i did not know where to put this thread but i figured g4 powermac cube so powermac. ok well im buying a g4 cube for 225 is that a good deal or not and are they good i know it will be slow but i just think they look great. 450 mhz nothin fast or anything but i plan on updating processor. think this is good idea or just save money. thank you for time

siurpeeman
Apr 18, 2008, 06:38 AM
i think the cube is a good computer to have from a collecting point of view. but in terms of practical use, i'd save my money and seriously consider a mini. the cube isn't as small as it once seemed. there are also further drawbacks to consider: huge external power supply, old ppc technology, limited expansion options. my vote is to save for something else.

dmw007
Apr 18, 2008, 06:51 AM
The Power Mac G4 Cube is an amazing computer. A Mac Mini would be a much faster computer as siurpeeman has pointed out. But if you want to own one of Apple's coolest computers ever made and you want to have fun doing a little upgrading, then go for the Cube. :) :apple:

krypticos
Apr 18, 2008, 06:57 AM
i agree and thank you for posting keep them coming. i want to get the cube but i have a ibook g3 that would be faster just to keep using but i dont know :confused:

swingerofbirch
Apr 18, 2008, 07:04 AM
The Cube is awesome, but the graphics card on mine went out unfortunately :(

One of these days I'll get around to fixing it. That would be the only consideration I would tell you about--I've heard that graphics cards problems are common on Cubes after a number of years. All the other components on mine pass the hardware test. It's a really solid, amazing machine otherwise.

siurpeeman
Apr 18, 2008, 07:05 AM
i've owned both a g3 ibook and a g4 cube, and even though the ibook had a higher clock speed, the cube was still significantly faster (or at least if felt that way) with day to day tasks. still, i really think you're much better off going the mac mini route. my $0.02 anyway.

tersono
Apr 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
The cube is a sweet machine - I've owned several over the years. You do, however, need to be careful as they're rather prone to thermal aging (meaning that parts become unreliable due to high temperatures) and the power board and proximity power switch are particularly fragile in this respect.

If you're buying a cube as a secondary machine just for the hell of it, then go for it and enjoy - just make sure that everything works as it should before you buy it.

Note, however, that installing a CPU upgrade will increase the chances of overheating causing a complete failure - I'd advise against it.

If, however, you're intending to rely on it as a primary computer, then I'd strongly recommend steering well clear and buying an new mini instead - it will be a lot faster and should be considerably more reliable for constant use.

Xfujinon
Apr 18, 2008, 07:49 AM
They are fun, I have two! One is the main one, the other is for parts. I echo the sentiments of those above, equipment failure is notorious, and I've had to do lots of hack and slash to make the main one work, but now it has a 120G drive and 1.5G of RAM, Airport, and so forth. I use it as my creative writing Mac, but not for anything else.

Go for a mini if you want some modernization and faster action, but the Cube is a good collector's piece. When mine die, they will become shrines around my home...or tissue dispensers, whichever seems appropriate at the time.

OZMP
Apr 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
just get a mini;)

cal6n
Apr 18, 2008, 08:48 AM
I still have my cube and I love it.

It's got a 1.4 GHz G4 upgrade, 768 MB of RAM and an 80 GB disc.

Still got the standard graphics card, but it runs Tiger and OS 9 really well and is eminently usable.

It makes a great "second machine" and I can still play the real Tomb Raider. :cool:

krypticos
Apr 18, 2008, 09:32 AM
i am going to get it. i cant pass it up i love the look and everything of it. i mean for 225 i cant pass it up. i thought that if i did update processor in it i would install a fan so it can breath lol. its only 450 MHz but how does the g4 deal in the internet video department because my g3 ibook doesn't do to bad its just a little laggy. but audio is good. so does the g4 do any better. o and what type of processor does it use.(like socket agp ...) and can any of that processor type go in the cube or does it have to made for the cube sorry kind of new to the ppc line of mac have an old mac clone that is like a g2 333 mhz runs old world mac os 9 takes like 20 min to boot never use it if anybody wants to email krypticos@gmail.com (sorry so speratic)

OZMP
Apr 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
why not a refurb mini?

krye
Apr 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
A G4 cube would make an awesome media server. A nice conversational piece for your non-Mac friends if anything.

IJ Reilly
Apr 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
Whether it's worth $225 depends on a number of factors, including completeness, condition and configuration. Does it have the original speakers and keyboard? Is the case scratched or cracked? How much RAM and which video card is installed? Has the hard drive been upgraded?

BTW, I run a Cube with a 1.7 G4 upgrade, 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB Seagate drive, and a Radeon 7500 video card. This is my everyday Mac, not a collector's item!

JG271
Apr 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
The Processor upgrade may cost more than the machine itself though!
I once considered buying a powermac g4 and upgrading it, but the cost would come up to as much as a mac mini, keyboard and mouse - so i went for that instead.

IJ Reilly
Apr 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
The Processor upgrade may cost more than the machine itself though!
I once considered buying a powermac g4 and upgrading it, but the cost would come up to as much as a mac mini, keyboard and mouse - so i went for that instead.

It could, but I don't see this as a major issue. I mean, if you got the Cube for free, does that mean it would not be worth investing $200 in upgrades? The question should be what it's worth to you when you're done. But this also why I asked about the current configuration -- old RAM can be expensive, and compatible video cards difficult to find. If it's got no speakers, then add on the cost of replacement as well.

BTW, I went through the same cost/benefit exercise when the first Mac mini came out. This was some time ago obviously, but it turned out to be a wash in terms of cost. I opted to upgrade the Cube, which has given me several more years of use. Well worth it, in the end.