PDA

View Full Version : Possible to run iBook without AirPort card?

shamrock593
Apr 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase an old iBook 700MHz and I know it's possible to remove it's wireless AirPort card, but it will the iBook run okay without the network card in place?

I want to remove it but the Apple support docs have the following disclaimer:

Warning: Never turn on your computer unless all of its internal and external parts are in place and it is fully reassembled. Operating the computer when it is missing parts can damage your computer or cause injury.

Any ideas?

Edit: Wikipedia tells me that the AirPort card is optional so I'm assuming all will be ok if it's removed?

iBlue
Apr 18, 2008, 07:17 AM
Not sure but I don't think it would hurt it any.

Why do you want to remove its airport card?

Darwin
Apr 18, 2008, 07:21 AM
Everything apart from the wireless ability should work normally, but I second the question. Why do you wish to remove it?

shamrock593
Apr 18, 2008, 07:30 AM
Awesome, thanks guys.

It's kind of a long story why I need to remove it. I don't really want to explain, sorry. :)

skye12
Apr 18, 2008, 07:35 AM
I have an ibook. The airport card used to an option, so it can't hurt it
to run without it. Buy why remove it?

iBlue
Apr 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
It's kind of a long story why I need to remove it. I don't really want to explain, sorry. :)

is that code for stolen? :p

shamrock593
Apr 18, 2008, 08:20 AM
is that code for stolen? :p

No, it's not.

I'm 17 and my parents are extremely paranoid about the use of the internet, I just want an iBook for talking notes while I'm out (in the library for example), having no wireless network adapter will eliminate this problem. :)

iBlue
Apr 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
No, it's not.

I'm 17 and my parents are extremely paranoid about the use of the internet, I just want an iBook for talking notes while I'm out (in the library for example), having no wireless network adapter will eliminate this problem. :)
I was just messing with you but thanks for answering. (I was curious)

Maybe you can pacify their paranoia by agreeing to always turn airport off? Seems strange to cripple a handy feature of a laptop.
Just an idea.

Le Big Mac
Apr 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
having no wireless network adapter will eliminate this problem. :)

Just don't tell them about the Cat 5 cable in your pocket.

shamrock593
Apr 18, 2008, 08:34 AM
I was just messing with you but thanks for answering. (I was curious)

Maybe you can pacify their paranoia by agreeing to always turn airport off? Seems strange to cripple a handy feature of a laptop.
Just an idea.

That would work, trust me. :)

Just don't tell them about the Cat 5 cable in your pocket.

Or the inbuilt modem in my phone. :P