Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamrock593

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Australia
Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase an old iBook 700MHz and I know it's possible to remove it's wireless AirPort card, but it will the iBook run okay without the network card in place?

I want to remove it but the Apple support docs have the following disclaimer:

Warning: Never turn on your computer unless all of its internal and external parts are in place and it is fully reassembled. Operating the computer when it is missing parts can damage your computer or cause injury.

Any ideas?

Edit: Wikipedia tells me that the AirPort card is optional so I'm assuming all will be ok if it's removed?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I have an ibook. The airport card used to an option, so it can't hurt it
to run without it. Buy why remove it?

shamrock593

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Australia
is that code for stolen? :p

No, it's not.

I'm 17 and my parents are extremely paranoid about the use of the internet, I just want an iBook for talking notes while I'm out (in the library for example), having no wireless network adapter will eliminate this problem. :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
No, it's not.

I'm 17 and my parents are extremely paranoid about the use of the internet, I just want an iBook for talking notes while I'm out (in the library for example), having no wireless network adapter will eliminate this problem. :)
I was just messing with you but thanks for answering. (I was curious)

Maybe you can pacify their paranoia by agreeing to always turn airport off? Seems strange to cripple a handy feature of a laptop.
Just an idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.