PDA

View Full Version : macs and food

jefhatfield
May 7, 2002, 05:19 PM
macs and food

rip away!

i like fattening foods and that explains my appearance more than me being a sedintary techie;)

MacAztec
May 7, 2002, 05:32 PM
I like just about every food ever ever! All but brusslesprouts :barf:

Best Fast Food: Del Taco, Carls Jr., In n' Out, and Weinershnitzel

Best Home Food: My dad's steak, and lamb. My moms spaghetti, tacos, lazania, and chicken

Best MY Food: Roast-Beef Sandwich :) and a Tuna-Melt

Best Drink: Probly Gatorade, and water

Rower_CPU
May 7, 2002, 05:37 PM
Anything that's dead...

I'm one of the most un-picky eaters I know. I've had everything from escargots and steak tartare to filipino food that was probably dog (no offense :p ).

I lived in Hawaii for 7 years, where I developed a fondness for sushi, sashimi, plate lunch, spam musubi, chinese food, japanese food, hawaiian food, filipino food...you name it.

I also love American cuisine: ribs, burgers, fried chicken...you know, greasy stuff. Mexican food is big in CA, so lots of that too. Cajun food is some of my favorite, nothing like some good cayenne pepper to get the sweat goin'!

I love European food: French, Italian, Spanish, etc.

Face it, I love food...maybe too much...that's why I'm in the same boat as jef! :D

eyelikeart
May 7, 2002, 05:41 PM
I eat mostly healthy...grilled, diet drinks, wheat anything, lots of soy, veggies, fruits, protein supplements...

no fast foods...barely any red meats...no fried....not much carbs...don't drink a whole lot either...

I do have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies though....

I love gourmet pizza from this place here called Rocky's Gourmet Pizza (backtothemac knows where I'm talking about ;))

I love cajun & seafood....who couldn't living in new orleans?!

I also love middle eastern, thai, indian, italian, mexican, french...damn what am I missing?! (as u can see I'm definitely not a "burgers & fries" kinda guy)

I honestly love eating....I just try to maintain when I do...he he
;)

MacAztec
May 7, 2002, 05:42 PM
Man, I gotta meet you. You and I seem so much alike. I will eat just about ANYTHING.

The only thing that gets me mad, is when you go somewhere that has really good food with someone, and they order something like a "grilled cheese"

I like my sandwiches with tomato, lettuce, pepperocinies :), swiss on roastbeef, olives, bellpeppers, and just about everythin!

Rower_CPU
May 7, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Man, I gotta meet you. You and I seem so much alike. I will eat just about ANYTHING.

The only thing that gets me mad, is when you go somewhere that has really good food with someone, and they order something like a "grilled cheese"

I like my sandwiches with tomato, lettuce, pepperocinies :), swiss on roastbeef, olives, bellpeppers, and just about everythin!

LOL!!!

When I get a sub sandwich I usually get everything on it...everything they have available at the place anyway. It's like the Carl's Jr commercial: If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face.

MacAztec
May 7, 2002, 05:47 PM
Hehe, everything kinda guy, I love it!!!

Carls Jr. does have pretty good commercials. Pertaining to me...it gets all over the place!

menoinjun
May 7, 2002, 06:16 PM
I'll eat almost anything also, but a good filet mignion (spelling?) with mashed potatos and a nice veggie side is by far my favorite meal. A nice glass of good red wine would top that all off very nicely. Then some Breyers ice cream. Whatever flavor, just make it breyers.

mmm now I'm hungry!!! Anyone want to cook me dinner?

-Pete

Rower_CPU
May 7, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
...filet mignion (spelling?)...

mignon: French for "cute" or "little"

britboy
May 7, 2002, 06:45 PM
I'll eat anything, as long as it's got ketchup on it. Well, that's what some people think about me anyway.

Lasagne, pizza, tortilla, humous on pitta bread, paella... pretty much an atypical british diet. Oh yes, i'm rather partial to cornish ice-cream :)

MacAztec
May 7, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by britboy
I'll eat anything, as long as it's got ketchup on it.

Same with me man. I drench my fries, burgers, pelof ( that rice stuff ), everything!

Beej
May 7, 2002, 08:12 PM
Seafood. Yum.

jelloshotsrule
May 7, 2002, 08:28 PM
well... i don't eat meat... but i do also like "everything on it" when it comes to my veggie burgers. in fact, i think that's the thing that makes it taste that way, moreso than the burger itself. when you cover it with all that stuff, it just tastes better.. haha

i love spaghetti, eggplant parmesan, lasagna, etc.

i also enjoy a food called "pigs in the blanket". not the little mini weiners wrapped in bacon, but rather it's an eastern european thing... the real version is ground beef and rice in a cabbage type shell. kinda like a stuffed pepper, but cabbage instead. my mom has started making that with fake soy meat and it's also amazing.

i like taco bell. of course i prefer more "real" mexican food but since i haven't had the true mexican food, i don't really know what i'm missing.

Mr. Anderson
May 7, 2002, 09:13 PM
My last house mate I had before I got married was a gourmet chef. Let me tell you I was in heaven. He'd come home from work and whip something up, my job was to pick the bottle of wine. At one point in our 1 1/2 years together we had 9 cases of wine in the house. By the time we moved out we split up about a case worth, and that was mostly stuff we had bought recently.

But I have to give him a lot of credit in teaching me how to cook. I now cook most of the time at home and its almost as good as my old housemate's. I love the grill, one of the best things to have at home in my opinion, and I'll grill summer or winter, rain or snow, I don't care.

But I love DC becuase its such an international city (NY is too) and the range of ethnic food is amazing. I'll eat sushi one time and the next time I'm out I'll be eating at the local Bangladeshi joint around the corner. We have a huge Thai and Vietnamese population, and that food is so much better than Chinese. If I ever had to move somewhere that didn't have as many selections, it would have to be for a damn good reason.

Durandal7
May 7, 2002, 09:25 PM
I will also eat ANYTHING.
My favorite foods range from Sushi to Giant Burritos to Pot Roast.

jelloshotsrule
May 7, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
MBut I love DC becuase its such an international city (NY is too) and the range of ethnic food is amazing.

thinking of DC and eating brings one thing into my mind.... the old post office! haha.

i know it doesn't make sense. but when i was young and i'd make trips into DC with my family (from NoVA) we'd always eat lunch at the food court in the old post office. i visited dc recently (some museums with international friends) and ate there, just for kicks... there was tons of security there... and the place was empty. kinda sad.

cleo
May 7, 2002, 09:44 PM
Next to Macs and Angelina Jolie's... well... :D ... food is my favorite thing in the world!

I'm vegetarian - no meat, seafood, eggs. Some milk, but not much. Lots and lots of cheese and black beans and vegetarian sushi and burritos and Tofu Crumbles(tm) and spinach and, oh yes, GARLIC. Basically anything but green bell peppers and cucumber. Oh, and I LOVE ice cream. Total ice cream nut. Once actually had a 6-month romantic relationship built on mutual ice cream appreciation.

What I want to know is - what restaurants in your hometown (or other favorite cities) can't be missed?

Me:
- Ai Mei Thai in St. Pete
- Tokyo Bay in St. Pete
- SideBern's in Tampa

jelloshotsrule
May 7, 2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by cleo
I'm vegetarian - no meat, seafood, eggs. Some milk, but not much. Lots and lots of cheese and black beans and vegetarian sushi and burritos and Tofu Crumbles(tm) and spinach and, oh yes, GARLIC. Basically anything but green bell peppers and cucumber. Oh, and I LOVE ice cream. Total ice cream nut. Once actually had a 6-month romantic relationship built on mutual ice cream appreciation.

not much milk... but tons of cheese and ice cream????? haha. unless you're talking soy cheese and soy ice cream... yuck.

i eat eggs and milk, but again, i limit it..

burritos are great, as are quesadillas. morningstar hot dogs are great, as well as their bacon strips... the fake meat crumbles in stuff like spaghetti is impossible to know the difference from meat, and is very tasty.

eyelikeart
May 7, 2002, 10:46 PM
But I love DC becuase its such an international city (NY is too) and the range of ethnic food is amazing. I'll eat sushi one time and the next time I'm out I'll be eating at the local Bangladeshi joint around the corner. We have a huge Thai and Vietnamese population, and that food is so much better than Chinese. If I ever had to move somewhere that didn't have as many selections, it would have to be for a damn good reason.

That's one of the many things I absolutely loved about DC....the food is incredible there! Such a melting pot of ethnicity, culture...oh man I wanna go back so badly!!!

u should come down to New Orleans...so much good food down here...jefhatfield would love it!! ;) :p :D

Mr. Anderson
May 7, 2002, 10:56 PM

Me:
- Ai Mei Thai in St. Pete
- Tokyo Bay in St. Pete
- SideBern's in Tampa

Oh wow, St. Pete, eh? I just got married down there in December! My wife grew up in St. Pete and her mom still lives there. Where abouts are you from, Tampa or St. Pete?

In the downtown area, along the park on the bay in St. Pete, don't remember its name, is a restaurant - Moon Under Water. Its a colonial English tavern, serving all sorts of ethnic foods that you might have found in any of the English colonies at the height of the empire. My favorite is the Curry, I think they might have vegie too, but I'm not sure. Its the best curry I've had in the states. The best ever was in Fiji - the population is 40% Indian, so a visit to one of the curry houses there is a must if you happen to go.

As for good restaurants in DC, the best by far and actually its rated in the top 3 in DC by Zaggats is Kinkead's, on the 2000 block of Pennsylvania. Its a seafood restaurant unlike any I've ever been too, and the calamari appetizer is a must. Its not fried but grilled, and placed on a bead of polenta, pesto and a base of tomato sauce. Totally unbelievable. My wife and I go there freqently just to get appetizers before a show at the Kennedy Center. You can eat in the main dining room, but that would require reservations, if you eat in the bar area, more like a bistro, you can usually just show up and get seated.

This is a must for all seafood lovers if you visit DC. Trust me and I promise you won't be sorry you went.

teabgs
May 7, 2002, 11:57 PM
I also do not eat meat, though I eat poultry. I'll eat whats cheap. If a meal cost much over $5 and I'm not feeling like a high roller forget it. So, my limitations of money being a student force me to eat what I can for the least possible amount of money.

We have this great Pizza place across the street from my school where I can get 2 slices of pizza and a soda for $3...in NEW YORK!! I eat that way too much cause its close and cheap.

I try not to goto DC too often....the metro closes to early and I HATE driving their...I once got lost going to a friend's by AU....I ended up at the smithsonian (if you know the area you're laughing at me, if you dont know...well, thats not too close). It sucked. Luckily I got there and it was a party so I got really drunk and forgot abou the ride there :D:p

note: post # 300 swig a nooch!

jelloshotsrule
May 8, 2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
I also do not eat meat, though I eat poultry. I'll eat whats cheap. If a meal cost much over $5 and I'm not feeling like a high roller forget it. So, my limitations of money being a student force me to eat what I can for the least possible amount of money.

ha. poulty not meat? interesting theory... ha. i actually have a meal plan, so i eat that as often as i can stand, just to get my money's worth out of it.

We have this great Pizza place across the street from my school where I can get 2 slices of pizza and a soda for $3...in NEW YORK!! I eat that way too much cause its close and cheap.

ahh. good old mercato. that place indeed rules. they key is to get the drink with no ice, you get a good deal more that way... ha

krossfyter
May 8, 2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I eat mostly healthy...grilled, diet drinks, wheat anything, lots of soy, veggies, fruits, protein supplements...

no fast foods...barely any red meats...no fried....not much carbs...don't drink a whole lot either...

I do have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies though....

I love gourmet pizza from this place here called Rocky's Gourmet Pizza (backtothemac knows where I'm talking about ;))

I love cajun & seafood....who couldn't living in new orleans?!

I also love middle eastern, thai, indian, italian, mexican, french...damn what am I missing?! (as u can see I'm definitely not a "burgers & fries" kinda guy)

I honestly love eating....I just try to maintain when I do...he he
;)

pretty much what eyelikeart said...i like.

im down with burgers though...every once in a while...but i hate fries (or grease sticks as i call them)
burgers give me that fat that my body needs every week...only a small amount though.
im down with pizza like crazy man. i try to eat more protein than carbs because i work out a lot. but i need the carbs to work out with. so all in all...a balance of good food for your body. keep it interesting and healty if possible.

3rdpath
May 8, 2002, 01:31 AM
tex-mex is my favorite but since i now live in cali, i can't find one single friggin decent mexican food place.

the foods i enjoy are organic grains, steamed veggies, arugala salads, fruit and grilled fish. pretty boring but it keeps the weight off. just gave up dairy( even drink my coffee black--blah) and meat but i do fall off the wagon sometimes.( as in #4 spicy chicken sandwich at JiB)

pretty far cry from how i was raised-where every food group had meat in it:D anything spicy is cool with me-jalepenos, habineros, hot mustard-its all good. thai is great, sushi isn't.

when i visit texas, i'll splurge and have chicken fried steak, mashed potatos, fried okra, mustard greens and cornbread. makes me feel like i crawled back into the womb :) but my stomach feels like an out-of-balance maytag for a couple of days...

love cajun 'cept the mudbugs. man i miss cafe du monde.

and , of course i can't give up my vices--chocolate and dr. pepper .

gerror
May 8, 2002, 02:57 AM
What about Ben & Jerry's Chunkey Munkey?
Also boerenkool a dutch 'speciality'
Sometimes I get a double cheeseburger at Burger King and then pick up some fries at a small snackbar cause they have good mayonaise.
Gerror

iGav
May 8, 2002, 04:36 AM
See macs and beverages!! :p :p :p

Ifeelbloated
May 8, 2002, 06:31 AM
Can't believe I'm so late to post here. I like it all but everything in moderation. Lest I get stuck going through revolving doors. Actually, I only weigh 160 pounds. I've yet to try Thai food. I heard it's pretty good.

Mr. Anderson
May 8, 2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
Can't believe I'm so late to post here. I like it all but everything in moderation. Lest I get stuck going through revolving doors. Actually, I only weigh 160 pounds. I've yet to try Thai food. I heard it's pretty good.

Thai is great. But be careful or prepared, some dishes are very spicy.:D

For the first visit, try the Pad Thai, its a noodle dish that most people reallly like.

trinitishwar
May 8, 2002, 08:32 AM
Vegetarian all the way! Anything that's spicy. I'm a big fan of Mexican food, especially green chile. Also Indian food. BBQ tofu is the best, and if you can smoke it, I'm in heaven. I tend to eat my veggies raw though. Also a lot of seeds, nuts and fruit. :D

teabgs
May 8, 2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

ahh. good old mercato. that place indeed rules. they key is to get the drink with no ice, you get a good deal more that way... ha

Hell yeah! I always get my soda "coke, no ice". They know this by now....man, they know me there personally, thats kinda sad. I eat pizza way too much!

krossfyter
May 9, 2002, 04:54 AM
I eat pizza way too much!

that okay. Pizza is heavenly aggressive.

everywhere i go....i also try thier pizzas. whatever town or city.

i enjoy making my own... because i get to customize every part of it the way i like it. lotsa cheese and crazy crazy dough bread ...with that zanny classic sauce that just awakens ones taste buds.

mac15
May 9, 2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter

i enjoy making my own... because i get to customize every part of it the way i like it. lotsa cheese and crazy crazy dough bread ...with that zanny classic sauce that just awakens ones taste buds.

I bet you just run off and made your own pizza just then:D

krossfyter
May 9, 2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by mac15

I bet you just run off and made your own pizza just then:D

i wish. right now im out of cheese. i will buy some soon.

jelloshotsrule
May 9, 2002, 05:40 AM
i enjoy making english muffin pizzas... simply putting some sauce and mozzy cheese on there, and bake it. not fancy, but heck, it's tasty.

bbq tofu sounds quite good. once i am living totally on my own (ie, no school/meal plan) i'll probably start making ****e like that.

i like the fried tofu and various tofu fried rice things that i get at school though. too bad it's pretty rare.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 08:28 AM
i enjoy making english muffin pizzas... simply putting some sauce and mozzy cheese on there, and bake it. not fancy, but heck, it's tasty.

Ah, nothing like college student cuisine? Any of you guys here ever watch Iron Chef? That has to be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen on the Food Network. SNL did a skit on it, Charlie Sheen as the bachelor chef vs one of the Iron Chefs, and the food was shark heads. Charlie made Shark Head mini pizza as one of his dishes, very funny.

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by krossfyter

dude....if u ever come to new orleans....I'm going to take u to the absolute best pizza place around.....the best pizza in the city!!!

I like making my own pies as well...I tend to go on the "healthy" side though...but just about anyone who's tried them have given me compliments... :D

teabgs
May 9, 2002, 10:14 AM
I like to make my own pizzas as well, from scratch. I make the dough, the sauce, everything.

I think its fun. I used to work at a pizza place and I would eat a large pizza everyday I worked...Krossfyter..maybe yoyu should look into it. I can slap out a pizza dough and toss it in the air like it nothin!

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 10:21 AM
I truly love homemade pizza...

what do u use for the crust? do u use a mix or completely from scratch?

I've often used a mix....but have been successful a few times by doing a wheat crust from scratch...I find it does really well when u add a bit of garlic powder & parmesan before baking... ;)

teabgs
May 9, 2002, 10:43 AM
completely from scratch from me. I use flour, egg, garlic poweder, some onion salt, yeast (duh), some brown sugar...I think thats it....If you do a search theres lots of dough recipes online

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 10:57 AM
bbq tofu sounds quite good. once i am living totally on my own (ie, no school/meal plan) i'll probably start making ****e like that.

i like the fried tofu and various tofu fried rice things that i get at school though. too bad it's pretty rare.

I completely didn't notice the reference to tofu...

I do like tofu...it's a great substitue for dairy in foods (especially desserts :D)

my favorite is when it's in pad thai...it sucks up the peanut sauce flavor...yuummmm....I'm getting hungry...gotta stop replying to this tread ;)

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 11:00 AM
completely from scratch from me. I use flour, egg, garlic poweder, some onion salt, yeast (duh), some brown sugar...I think thats it....If you do a search theres lots of dough recipes online

also...if u add a nice beer to the mix...it does quite well :D

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 11:03 AM
I've got 2 places for the best pizza

One, in Darien Ct. - Post Corner Pizza. Its a greek owned/run place, you know the gyro and slouvaki on the menu too, but they do something with the dough that absolutely is amazing. Not to thick, not crisp thin, with lots of cheese, oh, man is it good. Everytime I'm up that way I'll make a trip to get some.

And, I've brought friends there who also agree with me, so I'm not being overly partial.

And my other favorite is Pizza Paradiso, here in DC around Dupont Circle. This is the more gourmet, thin crust (but not crunchy either) They serve a selection of olives when you first sit down and its a given that any crust you have left over you dip in olive oil (also on the table) to eat every last bit. If you're ever in DC, you should go.

cleo
May 9, 2002, 02:13 PM
Wow, how did I just completely lose track of this thread?!

Tofu is great. This place in St. Pete, Ai Mei Thai, has what they call Amazing Peanut Sauce, and it is amazing. I order it with tofu and you literally get like a pound of tofu in peanut sauce. Soooooo good.

I love pizza too. My current favorite is feta cheese and black olives.

Oooooh, all you vegetarians, you know what's fantastic? At the Olive Garden, get the Chicken Alfredo Pizza sans chicken and add tomatos... un-f***iing-believable.

teabgs
May 9, 2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

also...if u add a nice beer to the mix...it does quite well :D

This is true. Thoug I've never done it with the beer AND yeast since they do the same thing. Does it work well with both together?

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 02:50 PM
This place in St. Pete, Ai Mei Thai, has what they call Amazing Peanut Sauce, and it is amazing. I order it with tofu and you literally get like a pound of tofu in peanut sauce. Soooooo good.

Where is this place, I want to try it next time I'm down there.http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/drool.gif

Rower_CPU
May 9, 2002, 03:06 PM
Duke-
What's up with the animated smilies?

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Duke-
What's up with the animated smilies?

You like?

I found a whole boat load and I'm trying them out.http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/shrug.gif

Rower_CPU
May 9, 2002, 03:17 PM
You like?

I found a whole boat load and I'm trying them out.http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/shrug.gif

I thought for a sec that maybe arn had added them...

The animations are good, but the colors don't fit with the overall site design.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2002, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I'll have to adjust the yellow to be closer to what arn has. I think I'll keep them for a while, some are damn funny.http://www.dukestreet.com/AS/deal.gif

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 05:35 PM

This is true. Thoug I've never done it with the beer AND yeast since they do the same thing. Does it work well with both together?

I normally do it without the yeast...

once I added it to a mix...it just thickens it up...he he he;)

eyelikeart
May 9, 2002, 05:39 PM
Wow, how did I just completely lose track of this thread?!

Tofu is great. This place in St. Pete, Ai Mei Thai, has what they call Amazing Peanut Sauce, and it is amazing. I order it with tofu and you literally get like a pound of tofu in peanut sauce. Soooooo good.

I love pizza too. My current favorite is feta cheese and black olives.

Oooooh, all you vegetarians, you know what's fantastic? At the Olive Garden, get the Chicken Alfredo Pizza sans chicken and add tomatos... un-f***iing-believable.

I love vegetarian pizzas...but my all time favorite is wheat crust, spinach, chicken, artichoke & mushrooms....with light cheese...too much doesn't sit well with me :rolleyes:

but the tofu rocks...there's a sushi place around here where u can get seared tofu steak in a soy sauce....yummy!! :p