Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I know, it seems like a silly question - it's CPU temperature (as one would assume). However, I am not so sure anymore.

The $1799 question remains - did they proposed solutions (Coolbook, excess thermo paste) actually serve to help with the noisy fan issue?

I have 2 questions I want to ask everyone:

1) At what CPU temp does your fan kicks up from 2500 to 6000+ rpm?
For my MBA, sometimes it's low 50s, sometimes 60s (degrees C).

I am running Coolbook, but it really doesn't do much in cooling the computer at light/regular load.

2) According to iStat, what is the temp difference between your cpu and heatsink?
My MBA just went through the "excess thermo compound removal" surgery. My heatsink temp reads 4-6 C lower than the cpu now. I didn't pay attention to what it was before, so I'm curious what yours read.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
(1) fan speed 6000+, CPU temp: 50

(2) heat sink temp 45

not running coolbook. CPU idle 95%. it was nice and quiet at first, but after a while the fan spins up. the machine now does feel hotter than the temp reported. i haven't watched any youtube, but running a java web app from firefox. also has evernote running.

judge from your question, sounds like after coolbook and thermal paste removal you still have heat/noise issue?

btw, i have a base model, wk 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.