Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I've successfully installed Vista on my MacBook Pro without any problems (apart from it taking a surprisingly long time to make the 32 Gig partition - it was a little while ago but I think it was about 20 minutes!).

I'm now trying to make a partition on my MacPro desktop ready for windows without any successes. Boot Camp Utility just sits there saying Partitioning Disc but never finishes (I left it for a couple of hours the first and then tried again leaving it for about 4 hours before giving up). I'm trying to partition an empty 500 gig non boot drive equally between windows and OSx. I've followed the instructions on Apple's document word for word but can't see where I'm going wrong. Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Dohbrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I'm Sorry I can't help.

I can't help your situation, but if you have an Apple Store near you which has a Genius Bar, I suggest you make an appointment, and they should be able to sort you out. If you can't get to them then good luck.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I've successfully installed Vista on my MacBook Pro without any problems (apart from it taking a surprisingly long time to make the 32 Gig partition - it was a little while ago but I think it was about 20 minutes!).

I'm now trying to make a partition on my MacPro desktop ready for windows without any successes. Boot Camp Utility just sits there saying Partitioning Disc but never finishes (I left it for a couple of hours the first and then tried again leaving it for about 4 hours before giving up). I'm trying to partition an empty 500 gig non boot drive equally between windows and OSx. I've followed the instructions on Apple's document word for word but can't see where I'm going wrong. Anyone any ideas? Thanks

Not sure about this but I believe initially Boot Camp pre-formats the Windows partition as FAT-32 (32 Gb limit) which may be the reason it does not seem to want to create such a large partition on your second drive. Without third party software Windows itself refuses to format any partition to FAT-32 larger than 32 Gb.

After Boot Camp creates the FAT-32 partition you must format it again using the Windows installer. You can then format it to FAT-32 or NTFS. NTFS is required for Vista.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Not sure about this but I believe initially Boot Camp pre-formats the Windows partition as FAT-32 (32 Gb limit) which may be the reason it does not seem to want to create such a large partition on your second drive. Without third party software Windows itself refuses to format any partition to FAT-32 larger than 32 Gb.

After Boot Camp creates the FAT-32 partition you must format it again using the Windows installer. You can then format it to FAT-32 or NTFS. NTFS is required for Vista.

Thanks, but it would seem strange that the Boot Camp software invites you to create a partition of any size if that were the case (I'm sure what you say about the 32 Gb limit is correct but I would have thought the Boot Camp software would deal with it). I'll try what you suggest though. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.