PDA

View Full Version : iTunes helper allows MP3 downloads among local shares

MacBytes
Nov 13, 2003, 05:30 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iTunes helper allows MP3 downloads among local shares (http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5107196.html?tag=nefd_top)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

FosterKanig
Nov 13, 2003, 05:45 PM
Can't people just leave well enough alone.

MacBandit
Nov 13, 2003, 06:39 PM
I predict a new version of iTunes for Windows any day now.

garymm
Nov 13, 2003, 06:53 PM
Well, that's really cool in practicality, and really uncool in that either
a)The guy's going to get sued out of existance
or
b)A new version of iTunes is going to come out next week
Don't flame me for saying it's cool. I don't steal music, but it would be cool to use between my macs at home

MacBandit
Nov 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by garymm
Well, that's really cool in practicality, and really uncool in that either
a)The guy's going to get sued out of existance
or
b)A new version of iTunes is going to come out next week
Don't flame me for saying it's cool. I don't steal music, but it would be cool to use between my macs at home

If you were unawares this ability was made possible in the first version of iTunes 4 when it came out on the Mac. You were able to stream music from any iTunes 4 user on the web is they turned on serving. Someone soon wrote a stream capture program for it and people were downloading music from each other left and right. Apple then came out with an updated iTunes 4 that prevented internet sharing. To bad everyone has to suffer do to the bastard software/music pirates in the world.

garymm
Nov 13, 2003, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this lets you get the music faster than real-time, which is the main limitation of capturing streaming audio.

Keynoteuser
Nov 13, 2003, 09:14 PM
Originally iTunes had full on internet sharing, but only to listen. You can ALWAYS use a stream grabber to get anything you listen to, there's nothing new there.

What some folks did was make a program that could grab the actual MP3 files of a machine that was set to share. If you didn't set a password and you posted your IP address, someone could steal your whole library. Other people used this to share music files, but the stealing part worried me. When a friend and I tested this, he said that after I got off his library, someone else was ON it pulling files. We decided that ONE of the app makers had made a trojan horse that sent your IP address to HIM so he could in turn steal your songs. Pretty scarey.

So this new app does the same thing, but at least it seems that since you have to install it and choose to share, you'd at least KNOW you were open for business before you got taken. Anyway, the AAC files from Apples iTunes store STILL don't work when taken this way, because you are taking the original, not a stream.

garymm
Nov 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
I used ituneshare.org to listen to other people's playlists, and I kept using 4.0 after 4.0.1 came out so I could do that, but I never "stole" or "grabbed" anything. I didn't know there was software like this program for the mac, even in the past.

Keynoteuser
Nov 13, 2003, 09:30 PM
THere were at least 2 apps that did this. And while you might not have stolen anything, if you shared your own library with the world, you were at least OPEN to having your own songs stolen. Even after one of the sites that shared IP addresses took his system down, people were trying to hack it to see if they could still get the list of IP addresses that people posted. It was obvious that there were the regular folks who shared a bit and listened a bit, and then there were some people just grabing as much as they could get till the whole thing got fixed in 4.0.1.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 13, 2003, 09:59 PM
I hope programs like this won't make Apple take out the streaming feature. It is one feature that makes it unique. One of its best features. Please don't let some idiot take it away.

redAPPLE
Nov 14, 2003, 03:11 PM
yeah, i agree with "do not steal music".

but there is one instance, in which i think this should be allowed.

let us say, my brother has a pc, because he loves to play games.

and i am working on my mac doing some video editing. and there is this one song, which i need for background music...

i could start iTunes (well, it is usually already running) and get the song.

i hope Apple would allow this. one is allowed to authorize 3 computers, right?

set it up with a username and password for it to work. et voila!

MacBandit
Nov 15, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
yeah, i agree with "do not steal music".

but there is one instance, in which i think this should be allowed.

let us say, my brother has a pc, because he loves to play games.

and i am working on my mac doing some video editing. and there is this one song, which i need for background music...

i could start iTunes (well, it is usually already running) and get the song.

i hope Apple would allow this. one is allowed to authorize 3 computers, right?

set it up with a username and password for it to work. et voila!

You could do this just as easily and completely legally by running a network. Also if you are on a local network there is no reason you can't use the iTunes stream rippers anyway. Apple did not block local network streaming just internet streaming.

redAPPLE
Nov 17, 2003, 09:19 AM
stream rippers? like what? which is the best?

if i understand this correctly, the song has to be streamed (in other words, PLAYED) for me to copy the song, right?

MacBandit
Nov 17, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
stream rippers? like what? which is the best?

if i understand this correctly, the song has to be streamed (in other words, PLAYED) for me to copy the song, right?

There are or were other ways of doing this with iTunes. Do to the illegal nature of this and MacRumors stance on pirating I think that anyone that suggests a method of doing this without first suggesting a valid legal reason for it will probably be hearing from the mods.

MrMacMan
Nov 17, 2003, 10:29 PM
Oh come on...

We can always copy a stream.

Look this is better then that but you can't protect against that can you?

:o

redAPPLE
Nov 18, 2003, 01:14 PM
i think is is not "illegal". if my brother has the cd to the song, but his room is upstairs and i am working on something in the kitchen...

i wish there is a chance to get the song let us say "immediately".