PDA

View Full Version : iBook crashed and don't understand why

don't do it
Apr 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
OK I'm new to this and haven't found anything like my problem on this website but about a month or two ago our iBook G4:apple:, which I am on right now, started to make a weird sound every so often. At first we just ignored it but then in the middle of backing up our HD the laptop started to make that sound again.
I was backing it up in one account while working in iMovie in the other and it froze. I shut it down by taking the battery out because it would not turn off any other way. I put it back in and it got to the loading screen and started to make that noise again and froze up. We recovered everything on that hard-drive and got a new one put in but I was hopping one of you fine people could tell me what went wrong.

Thanks in advance:o

squeeks
Apr 19, 2008, 02:02 PM
what went wrong..umm, you harddrive crashed...what other answer are you looking for?

don't do it
Apr 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
I understand that but what might have caused that to happen because none of the data was saved to the backup disk and it was just about done

Wireless Buddy
Apr 20, 2008, 08:05 AM
I understand that but what might have caused that to happen because none of the data was saved to the backup disk and it was just about done

What caused it? Probably just years of moving it around. Hard drive failures are common in laptops because of this.

windowpain
Apr 20, 2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, it probably just failed.. happens to them all sooner or later.
You were lucky that you were able to recover the data. (and lucky it wasn't you swapping out the old drive!:))

don't do it
Apr 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
and lucky it wasn't you swapping out the old drive!:)

ya i guess i should feel happy and ya all but a locked file was recovered i don't understand why becausethe people were able to recover everything except one user file that was locked, anyone know why?