PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 capable of 1gig of RAM?

DVNIEL
Nov 13, 2003, 06:38 PM
<old posts deleted>

jonapete2001
Nov 13, 2003, 09:20 PM
I read today that a company has released a 1gb ram chip for the new ibook. so aparently the 600 or so limit imposed by apple is an artificial one probably inplace to distinguish it from the powerbook?

Powerbook G5
Nov 13, 2003, 09:56 PM
My old PowerBook was supposed to max out at 384 megs RAM but I ran into someone running 512 megs RAM in one just fine. It just depends on the manufacturer of the memory whether or not they want to invest some R&D into RAM for your model computer.

switcher22
Nov 13, 2003, 10:25 PM
If you were to get the 1 GB memory upgrade into an iBook, either now or in the future is there the potential for problems (overheating....) given that Apple states a max or 640 MB?

OS X is a memory hog so the more RAM that you get in there the better but I wouldn't want to burn out a logic board.

Thanks

pyrotoaster
Nov 14, 2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by switcher22
If you were to get the 1 GB memory upgrade into an iBook, either now or in the future is there the potential for problems (overheating....) given that Apple states a max or 640 MB?

OS X is a memory hog so the more RAM that you get in there the better but I wouldn't want to burn out a logic board.

Thanks
Heat's not your biggest issue with this. RAM generally doesn't generate that much heat.

The real problem with expanding past 640 is the cost. That 1 GB module is about $400. You might as well buy a 12" Powerbook, which has a higher max and more L2 cache (which is also important).

Nik_Doof
Nov 14, 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Heat's not your biggest issue with this. RAM generally doesn't generate that much heat.

Guess you've never seen the DDR ram in DIMM factor with passive heatsinks then eh? :)

crazzyeddie
Nov 14, 2003, 08:27 AM
We're not talking about that Corsair RAM built for overclocking etc... RAM that runs at the speed its meant to generates little to no heat above that of the motherboard without processor.

There is basically no risk of running that 1GB chip in an iBook. Even if the RAM didn't work, it still wouldnt damage the computer.