Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
should i get as iv been wanting one forever and now that pc world has a buy it now pay in a year deal on i can afford one, since i have a year to save up lol. i dont really care about hd space too much as i store all my movies and games and what not on an external drive. i read somewhere that you can upgrade the ram to 4gb on certain models, this is very appealing to me as the more speed the better. not including the mbp's what is the best macbook i can get for my money speed and power wise?

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Well it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

And yes, the current MacBooks can have 4 GB of RAM.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
well around £800 is the max id be willing to spend, even that is scary to me lol can all of the current macbooks be upgraded to 4gb? if i got the cheapest one which is 2.1ghz is it substantially different from the 2.4ghz?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
I highly recommend the BlackBook. Yes, it is more expensive but, it does not scratch as easily. My girlfriend bought the white and I have the black. Her top case is extremely scratched, it scratches as easily as the old white iPods.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
i personally dont like the blackbooks just because of the fingerprint issue, id probably be using an invisible shield so hopefully will avoid scratches for a while, plus the blackbook is way out of my price range, i have no experience in macs but after using the iphone since nov i really want to check it out, the cheapest way possible lol.

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
Understood. Saving money is always good. Just for the record though, I know a lot of people complain about the greasy finger prints on the BlackBook but they easily wipe off with water, at least on the new ones they do.

I would suggest buying one of the older ones at a discount. Upgrading the memory and hard drive is a snap and you'll save a lot of money...Good luck to you.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
just checked out a few blackbook pics on google it looks so much better than white, much more slick and expensive looking. also just read that there might be an update coming in the next few months so i may wait it out, if there is an update do the current macbook prices fall?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
They will fall slightly. It depends on the model you are looking at. The penryn ones will only be about $100 less.

Yes it is true there are rumors that a new MacBook will be coming out. Supposedly in aluminum. I myself prefer the BlackBook again because the MBP and MBA, both of which are made of aluminum, seem to dent and scratch easier.

It's all personal preference. You could check Apple.com for a refurbed MacBook to save money and then as I said before, upgrade memory and hard drive for cheap when needed.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
im in uk so dunno if they do refurbs on the apple uk site? i really really dnt like the metal casing on the notebooks, i love the plastic look its sort of the apple trademark isnt it? i like the white because you never see many other laptops in white and i like white gadgets for some reason lol wish the iphone was white but then it wouldnt look as seamless with the screen so.. you cant have it all! oh yeah and i dont really understand the differences between the penryns and santa rosa(?) i dont get it lol is it something to do with the time its was made?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
Penryn runs a bit faster and cooler. Both are capable of running 4GB of memory. The older MacBooks can not effectively run 4GB. I believe it tops out somewhere around 3.3GB. Both are Core 2 Duo so they are both capable of running Leopard at 64 bits.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
so penryns are newer than santa rosa or whatever it is? how do you make sure your getting a penryn? does it say anywhere on the box or site?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
No, if you go to Apple's website, the current line up is Penryn. Anything else is not. I am not sure of all the specs off the top of my head. For the BlackBook it is 2.4 GHZ/2GB of ram and 250GB hard drive. I believe the White MacBook is 2.4 GHZ/2GB of ram and 160GB hard drive.

Amazon.com has the Santa Rosa's at a discount. You can only but the Santa Rosa's from Apple in the refurb store.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
The Penryn and Santa Rosa macbooks both take and use 4gb of RAM, it is the older models based on the nappa chipset which do not.

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
Penryn runs a bit faster and cooler. Both are capable of running 4GB of memory. The older MacBooks can not effectively run 4GB. I believe it tops out somewhere around 3.3GB. Both are Core 2 Duo so they are both capable of running Leopard at 64 bits.

The Penryn and Santa Rosa macbooks both take and use 4gb of RAM, it is the older models based on the nappa chipset which do not.

Exactly what I said.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
kool thanks dudes for answering all of my tedious questions, dont ya just hate noobs:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.