PDA

View Full Version : MB or MBP with Apogee Duet

kilian
Apr 20, 2008, 07:59 AM
Hi,
Im new to Mac and wanna buy a MB or MBP for recording guitar, voice etc.
As I plan to record step by step (first guitar with a drum loop, then bass, then voice...) and just bought a Apogee Duet Im between the MB or MBP and want one as I need a portable to go to friends.
I will use Logic Pro. Is there any difference in using a MB or MBP for my needs?
Anyway, my only need will be using it for recording my ideas and make a complete song step by step. No bigger projects - for example recording a whole band.
Thanks in advance for any advice.:):)

Luap
Apr 20, 2008, 09:50 AM
I expect the regular MacBook will be more than adequate. It doesn't look like you will be overly demanding of it, so go for it :)
The MacBook Pro's are nice, but don't hold any huge advantages for music use.. Bigger screen is nice of course though. One of the main advantages of the pro is the much better graphics spec. But this is not required for music production.

Apogee Duet is supposedly a very nice interface too. And will work nicely on either model of Mac. Should certainly sound noticeably nicer than the built in audio ins & outs. It has its flaws mind, like no balanced IO, and that silly breakout cable. But I think I could live with that..

RedRedBlockhead
Apr 20, 2008, 10:39 AM
It has balanced inns, and I think their argument for not having balanced outs holds true.

Luap
Apr 20, 2008, 12:31 PM
It has balanced inns, and I think their argument for not having balanced outs holds true.

Doh! i stand corrected :) I should know better, I've been eyeing them up for the past week... I guess im just thinking of line level In & outs. As this is likely all I will ever use. And those are of course unbalanced. Its the Mic inputs which are balanced.

kilian
Apr 20, 2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks Luap, I think the MB will be the right choice. Would you recommend to put in 4GB Ram or is it fine with 2GB? Anyway I wanna make the experience with a MB and maybe in future I will have another Mac desktop. I have enough time to wait for the new Macs (Mini, iMac) and would like to replace the old PC at home though its still working.

ZiggyPastorius
Apr 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
The Macbook should be fine. I'm using a Macbook (4GB of RAM) with Logic myself and plan to buy the Apogee Duet very soon to do some recording of my own.

Luap
Apr 20, 2008, 08:47 PM
2gb is fine for most folks needs. I wouldn't have a Mac with less than that these days. No such thing as having too much ram of course though.. So it wont hurt to have more if you can justify it.

thechidz
Apr 20, 2008, 11:23 PM
I would get 4 if you're using leopard, which is a ram hog

Vocalvoodoo
Apr 21, 2008, 12:48 AM
Doh! i stand corrected :) I should know better, I've been eyeing them up for the past week... I guess im just thinking of line level In & outs. As this is likely all I will ever use. And those are of course unbalanced. Its the Mic inputs which are balanced.

The line in's are balanced also. It's just the outs that are unbalanced.

Great unit by the way. I've been using the Duet since it was first released, and I couldn't be happier!

kilian
Apr 21, 2008, 02:50 AM
I would get 4 if you're using leopard, which is a ram hog

Thanks folks for your advices. Its done for me. New MB with 4GB RAM will work for my needs. By the way as a newbie Ill spend some hours to learn how to record. Ill keep ya posted.