Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
I like PSE6, but I want to remove Bridge and Adobe Stock Photos. Anyone know how to do this, while keeping PSE6 intact?

Here's something humorous. I found a link to download a patch for CS3 that would uninstall Adobe Stock Photos. ASP is gone, but I do note that I have less disk space now than before I ran the uninstall! (not buy much, but enough to notice. I had 50.31GB left, now I have 50.28)

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I like PSE6, but I want to remove Bridge and Adobe Stock Photos. Anyone know how to do this, while keeping PSE6 intact?

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I believe simply trashing them is not the ideal solution. Anyone have an answer?

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Two ways I can think of -

1. Trash those two apps. I don't see why there would be a problem. PSE is not dependent on either.

2. If you're uncomfortable with the above, uninstall everything, then re-install PSE6 and deselect Bridge and ASP for installation.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Although I don't have PE, I have CS3 and have trashed both Bridge and Adobe Stock Photos and both CS3 and LR work fine for me. I would imagine Elements would be the same.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I would think that it can be skipped on a "Custom" installation. But why don't you like Bridge?

If you download photos from your camera or from a memory card, Bridge takes maybe one-third of the time iPhoto takes to download the same number of photos. It's incredibly fast on my iMac. I also use iPhoto to download and display photos, but have set Bridge to download the photos to a folder on the Desktop, and then burn DVD's of these folders. I also save them to an external hard drive. The ones in iPhoto are just for looking at, but I like to know that iPhoto also keeps the original images intact.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I transfer my images to the desktop, then have them open in LR for me to process the RAW files. I then have LR open the RAW in CS3 which I convert to a TFF or PSD file, then make my adjustments from there. It's just a workflow that has worked for me, and that I'm used to.

alainr

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
bridge vs iphoto

I would think that it can be skipped on a "Custom" installation. But why don't you like Bridge?

If you download photos from your camera or from a memory card, Bridge takes maybe one-third of the time iPhoto takes to download the same number of photos. It's incredibly fast on my iMac. I also use iPhoto to download and display photos, but have set Bridge to download the photos to a folder on the Desktop, and then burn DVD's of these folders. I also save them to an external hard drive. The ones in iPhoto are just for looking at, but I like to know that iPhoto also keeps the original images intact.

i am a fairly new mac user and have photoshop elements 6. i have been reading in this forum to try to figure out whether to use iphoto or bridge for organization. i understand that iphoto will only keep 2 versions of a photo and i do editing.

how do you download photos into Bridge AND iphoto? do you do one and then the other? are there duplicates of every photo that you take?

i had elements 5 for windows before so i don't know much about bridge.
thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i understand that iphoto will only keep 2 versions of a photo and i do editing.

What you do in iPhoto is duplicate the image. Say you want te black and white version and another version that is cropped for a 16:9 TV set. Then copy it twice caling on mypic_BW and the other mypic_tv and now you have three. iPhoto will hold as many versions as you like.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
i am a fairly new mac user and have photoshop elements 6. i have been reading in this forum to try to figure out whether to use iphoto or bridge for organization. i understand that iphoto will only keep 2 versions of a photo and i do editing.

how do you download photos into Bridge AND iphoto? do you do one and then the other? are there duplicates of every photo that you take?

i had elements 5 for windows before so i don't know much about bridge.
thanks!

Set the iPhoto "Preferences" to have PSE6 as the default editing software.

When you connect a camera, or card reader to your Mac, iPhoto launches automatically. You can just ignore this, and click on the PSE6 icon in the Dock (at the bottom of the screen).

Bridge is a sort of sub-application of PSE6. Launch PSE6, and in a few moments a window appears. This window gives you the option to download photos from the camera, scanner, etc. Select "Download Photos From The Camera." When you make that selection, Bridge launches automatically.

Once in Bridge, choose how the photos should be saved in a folder (by date, etc.), and choose a location where the folder should be created by Bridge. Select "Download All (or selected) Photos." Bridge will download and save the photos to that folder and location.

At this point you can just quit Bridge, and the PSE window will display on the screen. Just open whichever photo you want to edit (from the new folder), and edict as needed. Save the RAW photos to the same or another folder in TIFF format (unless these are already JPEG). Quit PSE6.

Finally, "import" the edited photos into iPhoto, and then save the folder with your RAW, TIFF, and JPEG images to CD's or DVD's, and also to an external hard drive for safekeeping.
-------------
If you don't want to do what I explained above, then:

1. Connect the camera/reader to your Mac, and wait for iPhoto to launch. Download the photos using iPhoto. Once downloaded, click on a photo you want to edit, and then click on "Edit" at the bottom of the screen. If you have changed the Preferences of iPhoto to have PSE6 as the default editing application, PSE6 will launch for you to edit your photos. These edited photos will be saved to iPhoto.

photoshopbymark

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Bridge or iPhoto for original download/sort/organizing etc...

Well I'm new to Mac, Bridge and iPhoto. I have about 10gigs to get on my Mac and lots more pics to take in the future. Moose explained real well how I could put these on the computer and organize using iPhoto or Bridge.
What I'd like to know is the pros/cons or each.

Is iPhoto allow you to add word tags, like macro etc... If so how?

If I use iPhoto as my storage I have a couple of questions.
1st, can someone with the new iPhoto step me through setting PS as my default editor.
Right now, the only way I can do this is to copy from the iPhoto window and paste in a none iPhoto folder, then open this image with PS. This loses quality with jpeg and seems convoluted.
Also, when I'm done in PS, to put the image back into iPhoto the only way I see how is to save the image in PS, find the file in a folder and drag it to the iPhoto icon. This puts it by date where the other one was, but now its not in the same event, so I have t move it there. This also seems a bit silly.
iPhoto also seems to hide the actual files and you have to "show contents" to see them. Which thn they are in "data" "original" and "modified". Data and original seem to be the same, its not really saving these twice right?

I'm trying to decide which to use as my library and want to make sure I know what I'm getting into 1st.

So mainly pro's and cons of each in your experiences would be great.

Thanks

photoshopbymark

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
wow!, but still curious

Wow, that sounds perfect. I'll try it when I get home (of course I'm not reading this at work or anything : )

One more thing.

Which do you all think is better and why?

The very knowledgable guy from the link simply said, Bridge stinks IMO.

Can anyone quantify that?

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
To be honest, and not just make inflammatory posts like that guy (who does he think he is!?), I have to admit, I only tried using Bridge for a short period earlier in the year. Here were my impressions as I remember them. Perhaps a Bridge advocate would think otherwise:

• Slow to start (iPhoto is pretty lightweight, which is one of the reasons I haven't gone to a more "serious package" like Lightroom or Aperture. I like things quick and easy)
  • Clunky interface
  • Seems designed to bridge between the CS3 applications (funny that), whereas I just want to organize, print, share and and occasionally seriously edit my photos.
  • No basic edit features (like levels, contrast, saturation, etc.) that I recall.
  • I prefer iPhoto's built-in integration with .mac (now called ".me" -- terrible name), book and calendar printing options, and integration with the rest of the iLife/Mac suite.

Just some thoughts. Hoped that helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.