PDA

View Full Version : Squeezing a Few More Days/Weeks/Months out of my eMac

JonLF
Apr 20, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have had my eMac for about 4 years now and, generally, I have been quite happy with it.

Lately (last year, maybe) I have been getting increasingly frustrated with its performance. I realize that I run newer and newer software which has greater resource demands than the software I was running initially, but I can't believe that it can make this big of a difference.

It's a 1GHz PowerPC G4 with 512MB running Tiger. I have 7GB out of 80 free and I generally never run more than one or two programs at a time (usually Firefox and Thunderbird, maybe with iTunes).

Are my expectations too high? I seem to remember it running like lightning when I first got it. Am I just remembering wrong? I open activity monitor occasionally and it spikes a lot when I am running Firefox, but usually returns to a reasonable percentage. I have run those silly programs designed to clear caches and get rid of other temporary files, but to no avail.

Is there something simple I can do to kick performance up short of upgrading parts? Don't get me wrong, the computer works well enough and suits my immediate needs (but not for long). I would just like to see some better performance while I sit and wait for my new iMac.

Thoughts or ideas?

Lancetx
Apr 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
You have to keep in mind that those eMacs were originally introduced almost 5 years ago now (May 2003) so they are starting to get long in the tooth. My Mom has the exact same model eMac that you do, but she basically only uses it for web browsing, e-mail and iTunes, so it's still fine for her needs. It's a good machine still, but anything more than that and it would definitely struggle some.

About the only thing you can do is bump the RAM up to 1GB and that should help you out some until you can get into an Intel based iMac. You will find that it will literally run circles around that aging G4. The good thing is that it shouldn't cost you much at all for the RAM. You can get 512MB modules for the eMac for around $50 online these days. Good luck with it.

sushi
Apr 20, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thoughts or ideas?
Some things that you might consider.

Upping the RAM to 1GB.

Clear the cache on your browser.

Removing (archiving) enough files so that you have 15-20% free space on your HD. Right now you are running at less than 10%

Repair your permissions.

ewilson6
Apr 20, 2008, 06:14 PM
When your hard drive is that full it will always slow down.

Erase some programs and try to keep 20% of your Hard Drive free..

--Eric

jeffersonaims
Apr 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ewilson6 speaks the truth. That drive's FULL. You could get a cheap external HD and put all your data and files on it and just keep the applications on the Mac. That'll go as fast as you remember, if you can't bear to part with as much of your stuff as the others say.

JonLF
May 1, 2008, 08:42 PM
Problem solved. Just ordered 24" with the 8800. Booya!

rolex54
May 1, 2008, 08:56 PM
Problem solved. Just ordered 24" with the 8800. Booya!
That machine will definitely fix your problems