PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle lots of "various artists?"

stark23x
Nov 14, 2003, 03:22 AM
I have a huge collection of singles, 12" and 7" dance/trance/techno stuff...most of which was never associated with an album or collection. To make it easier to find, I named them all by artist and song, but made up a name for an album, and marked them as part of a compilation in iTunes. It's like 350 tracks. That's one BIG album. ;)

How do you handle this situation?

polyesterlester
Nov 14, 2003, 06:25 AM
I usually use "Various Artists" in the Artist column, or if it's a soundtrack, I'll write the title of the film in the artist column, and then I'll include the individual artists names next to the names of the songs, for instance, the first track of the High Fidelity soundtrack would look like:

"You're Gonna Miss Me by 13th Floor Elevators", "High Fidelity", "High Fidelity Soundtrack"

SeaFox
Nov 15, 2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by polyesterlester
I usually use "Various Artists" in the Artist column, or if it's a soundtrack, I'll write the title of the film in the artist column, and then I'll include the individual artists names next to the names of the songs, for instance, the first track of the High Fidelity soundtrack would look like:

"You're Gonna Miss Me by 13th Floor Elevators", "High Fidelity", "High Fidelity Soundtrack"

Why do you list the movie title in the artist space if you know who the actual artist is?

polyesterlester
Nov 15, 2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by SeaFox
Why do you list the movie title in the artist space if you know who the actual artist is?

Because I have my whole iTunes library organized by artist, yet I want their albums to all appear together, not spread all over the place. So if I want the whole High Fidelity soundtrack together, I've gotta make the Artist the same. Make sense?

polyesterlester
Nov 15, 2003, 02:17 AM
I guess my answer really wasn't an answer to his question, though. I must not have thoroughly read it, because now that I read it again I see his question was entirely different. Sorry about that ;-)

SeaFox
Nov 15, 2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by polyesterlester
Because I have my whole iTunes library organized by artist, yet I want their albums to all appear together, not spread all over the place. So if I want the whole High Fidelity soundtrack together, I've gotta make the Artist the same. Make sense?

Well, if you mark the tracks as being part of a compilation they will be all put into one folder (for the album) nested inside the "Compilations" artist folder, though. And you will still be able to use the artist and album as separate browse terms.

polyesterlester
Nov 15, 2003, 03:24 AM
Yeah, but I'm not talking about browse terms. I'm talking about how it organizes my items in the library pane. I have the Artist column highlighted so everything is organized by artist, but I still want my High Fidelity or other soundtracks to appear in one chunk of music, all together.

SeaFox
Nov 16, 2003, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I see your point.

I would just use the search box in a situation like that. As it's doubtful any song other than those you'd want would appear under the term 'High Fidelity', even if you didn't specify album search.

Awimoway
Nov 17, 2003, 12:51 AM
I used to use "Various Artists" a lot because I didn't want to have to scroll through a list of artists 10 miles long on my iPod. But it just confused friends when they'd borrow my iPod (under my watchful eye of course--Apple evangelism has its limits ;) ), so I got rid of all "Various Artists". I now have tons of artists who only have one song, but at least they're easier to find.

heartdragon
Nov 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
I like keeping my soundtracks all together, so I set the artist for each of them to be Soundtrack, and kept the album title the same (Matrix, Fifth Element, etc).

Having an artist with a single track entry seems wasteful to me, so the single tracks I organize by genre, so there's a couple dozen artist of "Pop" in my collection, album "singles", then track titles include the artist:
Artist: Pop
Album: singles
Track: Stacy's Mom (Fountains of Wayne)

Probably won't work for everyone, but it works for me.