Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
so today i got a macbook on a buy it now pay in 12 months plan, with no interest. it was the mid range one £829, which for me is the most expensive thing iv ever bought, its going to take every penny to save up to pay it off, il have no money at all for the next 8 months or so. iv wanted a macbook for so long but today there was a few downsides that put me off, i was told that if i open it i cant take it back, that if i install bootcamp it voids my warranty, and that they have been having a lot of problems with macbooks lately and that if anything goes wrong they sort it for free for the first month, then its just the normal manufactureres warranty. it is a lot of money for me and after all this i dont know if its worth it. shud i keep it?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you're going to be that strapped for cash for so long, it might be worth considering not to keep the laptop. buy a macbook when you know you can reasonably afford it. a little peace of mind goes a long way.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Yay, new Macbook! :) Where did you buy it from?

You have AppleCare for a year from purchase, so if you have any problems you can contact your nearest Apple store and they'll do repairs for you (free of charge).

You can also purchase AppleCare to extend it to 3 years, but you have until the end of the year to do that.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
got it from pc world, i was looking forward to bootcamp to play some games but apparently its out of the question if i ever want my macbook fixed under warranty

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
I got my Macbook from there too, to be honest I don't think they know that much about Macs. :rolleyes: They gave me an offer for free online storage that didn't even work on Mac OS X!

Anyway, using Boot Camp won't void Apple's warranty. It's completely fine to use. :)

ScoobyDoofus

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Galway, Ireland
...as far as I know Bootcamp comes as part of Leopard; how can they say it voids the warranty? Are they saying Windows will kill your macbook beyond any chance of repair? It's not that bad.

I think the guy at PC world may have been a Muppet in a human costume.

:D

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
You are also covered for an entire year under apples guarantee. Anything goes wrong and just give apple a call, they will sort it out. I wouldn't trust the muppets at PC world with it! within the first month or not.

They will probably try shaking it to fix it..:rolleyes:

any problems just ask the guys here. first place i look!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
got it from pc world, i was looking forward to bootcamp to play some games but apparently its out of the question if i ever want my macbook fixed under warranty

Whoever told you that doesn't have the slightest clue what they are talking about. First, Bootcamp comes on the official Leopard installer DVD. Apple gives you complete instructions how to install it. If Apple tried to refuse you warranty because you installed Bootcamp (and they won't; Bootcamp is an important feature of Leopard), they would be slaughtered by any court. And if anyone else, like PCWorld, tries to refuse you warranty repairs on a MacBook bought there because you installed Bootcamp, one call to Apple will fix the situation and someone at PCWorld would be in big trouble.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
LOL - typical PC World response. They're a complete Muppet Asylum - buy from them if you get a good deal, but don't expect to find anyone there who knows what they're talking about - competent PC World staff are few and far between.

Anyhow, as the others have said, using XP under boot camp will NOT void your warranty in any way, shape or form, so go for it and enjoy! =]

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
As others have said, Bootcamp is part of the Leopard OS. Apple charges a 10% restocking fee if you return after opening the box. But you can return it. The basic warranty is 1 year w/ the first 30 days carrying additional phone support. You can purchase the extended 3 year Apple Care Warranty anytime during the initial 1 year period.

gimmeiphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
omg i KNEW it i said to him that its software approved by apple and he was acting like a total buttmunch shaking his head saying ''no no no if you change the operating system you void your warranty'' i said its not changing it it just gives you the option to boot in xp and he just kept shaking his head so i thought he was right. iv wanted a macbook for so long i dont know if i could give it back without a fight lol i havnt opened it yet but im dying to its calling me! il think it over through the night, theres one thing swaying me to take it back though the screens on the macbook display models in pc world were total pap completely washed out and dull even at full brightness, crap compared to my bog standard 2 yr old acer laptop which is bright and crisp, are macbook displays tosh? macin-tosh? lol geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.