Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
I'm recording lots of cartoons on DVD-Rs to placate the kids at their grandmothers. Recording from Sky+ (a PVR) onto DVD-R leaves alot of space taken up with adverts.
What's the best software to read the DVDs into my Macbook, edit the adverts out and burn a new, advert free, DVD-R? Is it something that iMovie/iDVD can do? Is there something better?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I'm recording lots of cartoons on DVD-Rs to placate the kids at their grandmothers. Recording from Sky+ (a PVR) onto DVD-R leaves alot of space taken up with adverts.
What's the best software to read the DVDs into my Macbook, edit the adverts out and burn a new, advert free, DVD-R? Is it something that iMovie/iDVD can do? Is there something better?

MPEGStreamClip will let you open the DVD-R VOB files ( since they are not encrypted ) as a single stream, then edit them and save as an MPEG2 file. You'll need to have Toast or something similar to burn it back to DVD-R without having to re-encode. This will allow you to edit out all the adverts without any loss of quality.

If you're not horribly concerned with the quality staying top notch, you can export your video from MPEGStreamClip as DV video and then drag the resulting clip into iDVD and burn that. You will lose some quality, and will take much longer to Author the DVD however, but really it's not all that bad for casual use, and the added features of the chapters and menus will be very nice.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.