PDA

View Full Version : Ram: 2x256 vs. 1x512MB

gundam
Nov 14, 2003, 07:37 AM
When i ordered my 1.25Ghz powerbook, I opted for the 1 SO DIMM upgrade option, but when I received my unit it was still loaded with 2x256mb. I contacted the dealer, who sent a technician over to make the replacement - but since then, the powerbook seems to be running a touch slower. What might be the reason for this?

crazzyeddie
Nov 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
You might want to check to make sure the RAM they put in was Apple RAM, even if thats not the cause for the slowdown, if you ever need warranty work (AppleCare) Apple might say the RAM is the problem.

jxyama
Nov 14, 2003, 08:31 AM
apple usually ships with a samsung RAM. check and see if it's that brand.

also, i assume you checked sys. prof. to make sure you got 512, right? i sure hope they didn't just take out your 256!

toughboy
Nov 14, 2003, 05:09 PM
yes, the one that they installed in my 12"PBG4 was a 512MB Samsung ram.. they probably work with samsung for ram stuff..

jxyama
Nov 14, 2003, 05:24 PM
make sure to check the energy saver config. in your sys. pref. it might be set for "reduced performance" under certain usage..?

Island Roots
Nov 14, 2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
apple usually ships with a samsung RAM. check and see if it's that brand.

also, i assume you checked sys. prof. to make sure you got 512, right? i sure hope they didn't just take out your 256!

They either use Samsung or Crucial (Micron) for RAM. My Power Mac G5 came with 2x256 sticks of PC3200 RAM by Micron. I plopped in another GB of Micron RAM as well; haven't had any problems to date :)

G5orbust
Nov 14, 2003, 06:28 PM
Strange. It should be the other way around- usually if there is one chip, then it should be faster than having 2 chips that equal its capacity.

I have no suggestions to help you, as the machine still works perfectly. All I can say is that you should just live with it or buy another RAM stick to make up the lost performance.