PDA

View Full Version : Worried about iPod Classic Amazon Reviews

RzrbldeSuitcase
Apr 21, 2008, 12:14 PM
Just weighing up whether to buy a 80gb classic or not I ad a browse of amazon and the reviews seem quite poor with a lot of talk of the product seemingly being underpowered and sluggish with problems in coverflow and clickwheel amongst other things.

I previously had a 4th gen 20gb and loved the responsiveness of it before it died.

Another thing is the poorer reviews seem to be early ones with later ones more favourable - has a firmware of software update been made for the classic since its inception to fix these issues that i've missed or anything.

I've looked through all the rumours but havn't found any indicatino as to when apple would be looking to update the line, anyone have a clue/idea?

psychofreak
Apr 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
Its not quite as snappy as my 3G, but I recommend using one to judge it yourself.

Cal City Kid
Apr 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
I bought one in Oct. 07 and I really love it. I'm really happy with my purchase. My headphones broke right away, but Apple replaced them gratis. Coverflow can be slow, but in my opinion that's only used to show off how much music you have.

Ryon
Apr 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
RzrbldeSuitcase: Yes, firmware upgrades since the classic first came out have improved its performance. I just got a 160 GB myself, and I haven't noticed any egregious issues with responsiveness. There are some minor blips here and there, usually when it has to access the hard drive, but the same sort of thing used to happen on my old 5G. There's only so much the poor little thing can do when it's managing dozens of gigabytes of data.

CoverFlow feels pretty much useless to me because it often needs a second or two to load and display artwork (the scrolling of placeholders and titles is snappy, but it only seems to grab the actual cover images while at rest) but for a library consisting of thousands and thousands of albums, I don't really see how that could be avoided. It has to access the disk no matter what you do; you can't have all of your artwork cached in RAM. And I would find CoverFlow pretty much useless even if it did somehow have all the artwork loaded at all times, so this particular issue doesn't bother me. :)

As for the click wheel, it is different from the one on my 5G, but I'm getting used to it. It feels slightly less sensitive and I think that may have been an intentional change; sometimes with the old one I had difficulty moving precisely one menu item up or down, which is now easier.

RzrbldeSuitcase
Apr 21, 2008, 07:16 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, but any news on potential updates to the product line in the future and how far off they are likely to be?

basesloaded190
Apr 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
thanks for all the advice guys, but any news on potential updates to the product line in the future and how far off they are likely to be?

i don't know what much else they could do to that line-up without drastically changing its entire set up. i think your safe to get one now.

Techguy172
Apr 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
Apple usually doesn't update the iPods till September.