Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
my brother is looking to get a new TiBook. the money is not a huge issue, but, as always, it's nice to save when possible.

so my question is, do you all think the 800 is worth it over the 667?

because the bus speed and cache is the same, i was wondering if the 133 mHz would be massive or not.

just curious what you all think...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
honestly...

I'd go with the 667...

I don't think u are going to really see that significant of a difference between the 2....they both have the same bus speed...video...etc...

I don't think $133 is worth the extra money....u could use it to do something else! ;) :p

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It depends on what he intends to use it for, and how long he intends to keep it. For any serious graphics work (as in page layout and PhotoShop work), I would go with the 800MHz model. Also, if he has any 3d applications, go top end.

If he will be using it more for everyday use, email, office apps and such, the 667 should work just fine.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
he'll be doing primarily programming and that type of stuff..

as well as maybe some web developing things including using photoshop...

i think that the key is that he has a very well paying job and few expenses, so maybe he should just take advantage of this time of his life when he has that situation, and go ahead with the 800 which should, as you said alpha, give him a bit longer life of usability.

i think we'll head to the apple store at tysons' corner and see what they have this weekend.

how are apple stores when it comes to configuring a system? ie, if he were to bump the 800 down to 30 gb hard drive and such..? would he have to wait or might they have it?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I didn't get mine from an Apple store, and I also just grabbed a standard config., since I could get it right away. I would suggest doing the same, that way you have the extra space, and can have the laptop immediately.

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
IMHO, nobody who is programming needs an 800MHz machine. Not even if you're doing web graphics in photoshop. I'd save the cash. Put it towards an iPod or something.

like I said, though, that's IMO.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
hey alpha, i'd talked to him about trading in his old computer towards the new one via the computer loft place you had mentioned...

you probably won't know exactly of course, but what types of value might he expect? you traded a rev a in for the 800 right? how much did you end up paying?

he has a g3 powerbook, though i'm not sure which version. i know it has firewire, but as i've never had any need a laptop i don't know much about the specific models.... think it'd be worth trading in? otherwise maybe i can convince him to give it to me.. ha

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I paid $1500 for my new TiBook, after trading in. Call and see what they will do for the older system, it won't be as good as a rev. a TiBook with AppleCare, but it should take some of the bite out of it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
If money isn't really an issue.... then go with the 800, it has a longer usable life, the 133Mhz will make quite abit of a difference in demanding tasks...... rendering etc.... ;)

Well that's what I think anyway!! :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by iGAV
If money isn't really an issue.... then go with the 800, it has a longer usable life, the 133Mhz will make quite abit of a difference in demanding tasks...... rendering etc.... ;)

Well that's what I think anyway!! :D

the 133 mhz applies to both of the current models, doesn't it?

either way though, it's up to him, and he's a computer geek/engineer so he'll know best. just thought i'd get some feedback from you all.. thanks

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Go with the 800. Remember X.2 will need 32 Megs of VRam for Quartz Extreme to run optimal. The hard lesson I have just learned is that if money is no object, go with the best.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

the 133 mhz applies to both of the current models, doesn't it?

either way though, it's up to him, and he's a computer geek/engineer so he'll know best. just thought i'd get some feedback from you all.. thanks

I was on about the 133Mhz difference in speed of the 2 processors......... :p

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by iGAV

I was on about the 133Mhz difference in speed of the 2 processors......... :p

i AM an idiot

back to da mac:

i agree. but then again, both models have the same video.... but he seemed to shrug off the 667 anyways.... so it looks like i'll be borrowing his 800 in a few weeks... if he's lucky, i'll return it to him sometime... ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.