Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnR23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Ok so I downloaded an in rainbows vinyl rip (flac) and coverted it to wav using Toast. I only added one of the songs to itunes to test an see if the ipod would even accept it. It did but when I try to play it on the ipod, it will go to the play screen but the ipod will then immediately freeze, forcing me to restart the ipod. Sometimes when I press the menu button it will eventually go back but then the ipod will start acting very sluggish and then I'll have to restart it anyway. I assume it's because the wav file is so big.

Here's the info for the file:

Kind: WAV audio file
Size: 80.1 MB
Bit Rate: 2822 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.100 kHz
Sample Size: 32 bit

So can someone tell me how much I can compress it without sacrificing quality so that I can play it on my ipod without it freezing...

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The iPod cannot play 32-bit files. You need to dither it down to 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

Wouldn't hurt to compress it using Apple Lossless either, to save some space.

JohnR23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
The iPod cannot play 32-bit files. You need to dither it down to 16-bit, 44.1kHz.

Wouldn't hurt to compress it using Apple Lossless either, to save some space.

Ok thanks.

The only reason I used WAV insted of apple lossless because of the the difference in bit rate (1411 kbps(wav) compared to 705 kbps (Apple Lossless)). I figured there was a big difference in quality; is there really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.