Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
Okay, I love my macbook and all, its amazingly fast, have no problems with it, it seems like the perfect laptop. Alongside the incase hardshell and moshi palmguard it really is the perfect combination, but I can't help but wonder why the display is so god awfully horrible, it is absolutely disgusting.
Now I might have two reasons why I feel this way,
a) I have excellent vision and am extremely picky
or;
b) my display is defective

I really don't think it is defective, its the 9c5f, i think its the lg model, which should be the highest quality. I came from using a 19 inch vx924 with 3 ms response time, to a 25ms response time, 6 bit ditering panel.
I might be okay with it, if only it didnt BLEED so much.
It's either my eyes are tricking me, because I seriously notice a difference from the bottom centre to the rest of the display, and the left side is horrible.
I am used to not putting my webpages to the left just to avoid a white screen, because I see a difference in lighting, uneven.
I am pretty sure I can't capture this on camera because camera but I will try.

Now the question is this;
is ANYONE on this planet satisfied with the macbook display?
ANYONE, because my last one had horrible spots on it that were disgusting to look at as well.
I am also using David's profile. Should I try to replace it and see what the next one offers me?
please make me feel happy I am using a macbook again.
the top is very even, looks pleasant to look at, but not the bottom half, a disgrace a monitor like this passed apple's quality test.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I would try calibrating your display to your liking. I used the profile provided by David and found it a little to dark for me. The default profile was absolutely terrible. Very washed out, and after messing around with the calibration tools my display looks much better.

My MacBook also bleeds a little bit. It can be quite annoying, but it's a common problem on these line of computers and have learned to live with it. After awhile, it doesn't even bother me at all.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
is your macbook's display even on the left and right bottom sides. Like does it look different in ANY way to the top?

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Hmm... I don't think mine is that bad. If you have an Apple Store nearby, go down and take a look at the MacBook's on display. If they seem better than yours, I would ask Apple to replace the display.

pattman247

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Toronto
i am able to use it just fine, but on an all white screen, like while surfing, it gets really annoying

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
My model panel also shows a 9C5F and is perfect in every way. I am thinking something is wrong with yours. Mine is probably 95% comparable to the display on my MBP (July 2007) except that it is not as bright.

I would see about making an appointment at the Apple Store to see if something is wrong.

pedestrian2019

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
The photo is a bit **** but you get the idea...

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=macbookoa4.jpg

Try setting one of the black and white images as your desktop background. The blacks look grey.

My display has the vertical gradient of light issue as well. It always looks more washed out towards the bottom of the screen. I checked out some MacBooks in an Apple store and they have the same issue (white and aluminium alike). Then I had a look at the MacBook Air. It's fantastic in comparison. Wish the MacBooks had that screen.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
That's crap! Open up the latest notebook keynote on the apple home page. Can you see the difference between the light shining off of the top of Steve's shirt, or does he appear to be a giant, discombobulated head floating around in space?

If so, return the monitor if its under warranty.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
That's crap! Open up the latest notebook keynote on the apple home page. Can you see the difference between the light shining off of the top of Steve's shirt, or does he appear to be a giant, discombobulated head floating around in space?

If so, return the monitor if its under warranty.

I couldn't find that video. I went to look for it but I couldn't find it.

Anyone know where on the site it is?

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
Well, my display is fine with me, but if there is a place where I could try out different calibrations, I would love to try them out, so long as I can have the choice to return to default.

[im a Mac newb]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.