Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Read this.

Can't believe the nerve of microsoft sometimes. Making schools pay for a license for every computer they own, even if it doesn't run windows!

If anyone on these boards is an educator or knows any educators please inform them of this and then point them in the direction of Apple.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
What in the hell
M$ piss me off so much, and even if they don't run windows thats an outrage

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I can't imagine this would go over peacefully. What would a school adminstrator in Maine - the one who just got all those iBooks for the kids, do with Windows Upgrades? It seems that they couldn't be expected to pay for part of that since, it would be my guess, that most of the machines in that district would be Macs, not PCs.

But not only that, they do have the Microsoft Office package, so it would be applicable for Macs, but to make the assumption that all machines would be equiped is ludicrous. Now, given how easy it is to copy Office on to multiple machines and use bogus product reg. #s, I could see why they'd want to 'insure' that they're getting all the registrations payed for. But why not put a better registration system into effect, copy protect or somesuch thing.

If I'm running Photoshop on my network at work and open up the same Photoshop reg# on my old computer, it says its already open and I can't run it. How hard would it be to implement this for M$ Office? A much better option than having to force it all down someone throat!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Just one more way that those slack jaweds are attempting to spread the monopoly that they already have. Man, lets see, Apple dominates the education market, so in order to FORCE SCHOOLS TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THEY CAN'T USE, we can come up with a great new licensing scheme that forces them to buy Windows for their Macs. That way they can't afford both and will choose Windows because they have to pay for it anyway.

Look, if you know someone in Education alert them to this crap. I would love nothing more than to see this blow up in their face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.