PDA

View Full Version : Apple CFO lectures about company's marketing methods

MacBytes
Nov 14, 2003, 03:12 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple CFO lectures about company's marketing methods (http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/11/14/3fb478a3ecd94)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

machinehien
Nov 14, 2003, 03:21 PM
Just three weeks after joining Apple, Anderson was confronted with the companyís $325 billion loss, which he attributed to a general decline in the computer industry and the companyís poor connection with its customers.

Is that figure correct? $325 BILLION seems to be a horrifying amount of money to lose.

mainstreetmark
Nov 14, 2003, 03:36 PM
Compared with the President's request for 87 Billion to rebuild Iraq, which seemed like a lot to me, I'd say yes - that maybe should be a Million.

But, is that article from England? No, Michigan. Well, still, some European countries have different meanings for Billion than we do.

mainstreetmark
Nov 14, 2003, 03:41 PM
Seven years since its pitfall, Apple is again a strong industry competitor, introducing new products each year. Apple is now the nationís No. 6 computer maker, with 3.48-percent market share, according to International Data Corp.ís latest quarterly figures. Dell is the countryís top computer maker, with 26 percent of the market.

I've been noticing that a lot, a LOT, of people around here are still using G3's and lots of computers which the PC world would consider worthless. My neighbor has one of the old-style beige G3's - an actual relic from another era - and she doesn't feel the need to part with it. "It works great!"

All these sub 5% market share stats are all based on purchases, not current use, and as evidenced by the strength of iTMS for Mac vs iTMS for windows, I'm inclined to say that there are far more Macs in daily use than 3.8%. On garagepunk.com's forum, 3 of the top 10 threads right now are all Mac related - a statistical impossibility with only 4% of the marketshare.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 14, 2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah, macs run for a lot longer. My father still uses his Performa 575 (68k!). Also there was another error in the article which stated the iPod was Time magazine's invention of the year. Which of course isn't true. It is iTMS

Nermal
Nov 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Compared with the President's request for 87 Billion to rebuild Iraq, which seemed like a lot to me, I'd say yes - that maybe should be a Million.

But, is that article from England? No, Michigan. Well, still, some European countries have different meanings for Billion than we do.

A British billion is 1 000 000 000 000, which is even bigger than an American billion (1 000 000 000).