PDA

View Full Version : Using Live 5 with the new Macbook

n1ckwsiii
Apr 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
I record music. Mainly guitar tracks with drum and base loops. Very simple stuff.

My old laptop was an older Powerbook G4 that my employer bought me for work purposes but I also use it to support my recording hobby. I used a program called Live 5 to put my music together. This worked well for me I never had any problems and the computer could handle quite a large CPU load.

My employer decided to upgrade my computer a few weeks ago. So now I have a MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of ram (more than enough)

Everything about this computer appears to be superior to my older powerbook G4, except for one thing. The CPU's are through the roof when I'm trying to arrange and record music within Live 5. It is such a problem that I can't even turn on one single drum loop without the CPUs Blasting off to 50%. This causes a really nasty sound issue. It's like Snap, Crackle and Pop got into my computer!

Why am I having this problem? Is there an issue with the Macbook's hardware that I should know about? These are supposed to be the ultimate media creation devices, a simple drum loop should not be enough to fry the processor.

I am wondering if I need the latest version of Live. They have it up to Live 7 now. I'm thinking it may be an issue with the old software not meshing with the new processor. Unfortuneatly its a $150 upgrade for me and I need to know if it will solve the issue before I buy it. Or do I just have the wrong computer.

zygo
Apr 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Your computer will handle Live 7 no problem.

I'm guessing your issue is down to Live 5 Mac version being written for power pc processors [your old powerbook]. I'm not 100% but I'm guessing that Live 6 was the first version to support intel Macs.

Due to this it is probably trying to run through the power pc emulator [think it's called rosetta]. This probably screws with the software, but also takes a proportion of your processing power.

Upgrade and all will be fine. I have several friends running Live 7 on Macbook's with no problems.

n1ckwsiii
Apr 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
Thank you,

I tried the demo and it works much better. Now I'll just need to shell out some more dough.

So much for thinking live 5 would be all I would ever need. :(

c-Row
Apr 24, 2008, 06:02 AM
So much for thinking live 5 would be all I would ever need. :(

Guess you can't blame Ableton for technological evolution. ;)