Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I have some stupid workers who keep watching movies while I'm not around, so I need to completely disable ALL audio in Windows XP without having to uninstall the audio drivers. Help please? Perhaps there's a simple registry setting?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
1. Notice I posted in a Windows forum.

Windows on a Mac. Related to specific questions of running Windows on a Mac, not general Windows questions like yours is.

I can understand that you dont want to register on Windows forums though :D

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Windows on a Mac. Related to specific questions of running Windows on a Mac, not general Windows questions like yours is.

I can understand that you dont want to register on Windows forums though :D

Well, by reading my first post, you can't tell if I'm talking about Windows on a Mac or Windows on a PC, riiiight? Okay then.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Well, by reading my first post, you can't tell if I'm talking about Windows on a Mac or Windows on a PC, riiiight? Okay then.

It doesnt matter if you run Win on a Mac or PC, but "Windows on a Mac" forum is dedicated to specific issues when running Windows on a Mac hardware like troubles with drivers, etc.

peterlobl

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia
I have some stupid workers who keep watching movies while I'm not around, so I need to completely disable ALL audio in Windows XP without having to uninstall the audio drivers. Help please? Perhaps there's a simple registry setting?

Run Control Panel from Start Menu

Click System

Select Hardware tab up top

Select Device Manager

scroll down until you see "Sound, Video & Game Controllers"

Right click on those pertaining to Audio - you should be able to disable your sound drivers that way w/o having to mess with registry.. and is easy to enough to reenable, by doing same procedure

hope this helps!

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Run Control Panel from Start Menu

Click System

Select Hardware tab up top

Select Device Manager

scroll down until you see "Sound, Video & Game Controllers"

Right click on those pertaining to Audio - you should be able to disable your sound drivers that way w/o having to mess with registry.. and is easy to enough to reenable, by doing same procedure

hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already knew about that. When I tried, it would only let me disable one of the many audio codecs/drivers, which did not make a difference.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Go into Services and find Windows Audio. Stop it, then set it to disabled. That will completely stop audio, regardless of which driver is used for the sound hardware and where the audio comes from or goes to.

All audio is routed through the Windows Audio service, so if you shut that off you stop audio from working. You can access Services by going into Control Panel then clicking Administrative Tools.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

Why didn't you just mute the sound? That way you could have turned it on and off at your leisure, instead of having to go in an enable/disable services...

my .02

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Why didn't you just mute the sound? That way you could have turned it on and off at your leisure, instead of having to go in an enable/disable services...

my .02

Because if they can put a DVD in a disk tray, I'm sure they could also figure out how to unmute the sound?

... did you even read the quote you used?

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Unless it's onboard, I'd just take out the sound card lol.

Then again, I'm like the only person who actually ads their own sound card in their PC.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
This may sound silly, but what are you trying to accomplish? Seems more like you don't want your coworkers watching movies and it is somehow your responsibility to prevent them from doing such things. I assume because of company policy. What does that have to do with sound? Why don't you just uninstall any DVD playing software? Or fire employees that don't follow company rules?

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
This may sound silly, but what are you trying to accomplish? Seems more like you don't want your coworkers watching movies and it is somehow your responsibility to prevent them from doing such things. I assume because of company policy. What does that have to do with sound? Why don't you just uninstall any DVD playing software? Or fire employees that don't follow company rules?

I'm not always there to catch them watching, that's why I have to disable the audio more than just clicking MUTE. These guys are new to computers, so they DO know how to unmute...but they don't know how to enable audio in the BIOS.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
I'm not always there to catch them watching, that's why I have to disable the audio more than just clicking MUTE. These guys are new to computers, so they DO know how to unmute...but they don't know how to enable audio in the BIOS.

You should obviously have a password protected bios as well or else they'll just get in there and muck around.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It doesnt matter if you run Win on a Mac or PC, but "Windows on a Mac" forum is dedicated to specific issues when running Windows on a Mac hardware like troubles with drivers, etc.

crybaby.jpg

I assume you work in IT, then use a Group Policy to block it.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I don't work in IT (though I do work for an IT company)...I just know more than the average PC user. And trust me, these guys won't muck around in the bios...they don't even know what a bios is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.