PDA

View Full Version : MS 'crashes' Safari

whocares
Nov 14, 2003, 06:37 PM
Even if I don't have any MS products on my Mac, it can still mess up my browsing experience with safari :p

Rower_CPU
Nov 14, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yeah, not really a "crash" per se...just a poorly managed Windows server. ;)

Jonathan Amend
Nov 15, 2003, 10:50 PM
You are wrong for two reasons:

1) Those errors are the result of crappy web programmers and administrators. That error in the screen shot means that the server the asp script is trying to connect to doesn't exist.

2) The server it's trying to connect to is Oracle (as in, an enemy of Microsoft). Note the "/includes/video/oracleADO.asp, line 9" part of the error message.

My guess is that either Oracle was having a bad day or the programmer was a complete idiot and didn't bother checking if his site even worked before he put it out to production. The server running Oracle probably isn't even Windows based, as Oracle tends to promote Linux and Unix as the best platforms for it.

whocares
Nov 16, 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Jonathan Amend

Take it easy baby, it was just for ****s'n giggles :p

Jonathan Amend
Nov 16, 2003, 12:43 AM
Hey now, you're the one using foul language (I'm guessing that's what those ****'s are for). I just have nack for correcting people that are wrongly bashing Microsoft and its products =)

whocares
Nov 16, 2003, 12:54 AM
Hey now, you're the one using foul language (I'm guessing that's what those ****'s are for). I just have nack for correcting people that are wrongly bashing Microsoft and its products =)

It wasn't really some foul language, just a quote from Austin Powers (for poops'n giggles, to get past the censor). I wasn't really trying to bash MS, meerly raise a giggle out 1 or 2 people. This I seem to have failed, but that's ok. In no way did I intend to start an anti-MS discussion. This would be the wrong forum, now wouldn't it.. It would be best in "Political and War Discussion" ;)

If I were wanting to bash MS, it would probably be in the area of why I sometimes can't save my Word files and have to copy all and paste into a new document. But I wouldn't do that here. Ooooooppps :p

And if you were upset by my sig, just think of it as a very subjective view of mine. Sorta like looking at a painting and not liking it :cool:

Rower_CPU
Nov 16, 2003, 02:21 AM

1) Those errors are the result of crappy web programmers and administrators. That error in the screen shot means that the server the asp script is trying to connect to doesn't exist.

2) The server it's trying to connect to is Oracle (as in, an enemy of Microsoft). Note the "/includes/video/oracleADO.asp, line 9" part of the error message.

My guess is that either Oracle was having a bad day or the programmer was a complete idiot and didn't bother checking if his site even worked before he put it out to production. The server running Oracle probably isn't even Windows based, as Oracle tends to promote Linux and Unix as the best platforms for it.

Jonathan-

1) Agreed.

2) It's trying to connect to a page on the same server; it's obvious from the path given to the file. And since ASP only runs on servers running IIS, IIRC, it's running on a Windows server.

I've never really heard that Oracle and MS don't get along. Care to elaborate?

celaurie
Nov 16, 2003, 03:52 AM
Hang on? I've been gone but a few months and now we let folks in that defend M$... Deary me! Can I have some of what you're on? NOT! ;)

Jonathan Amend
Nov 16, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Jonathan-

1) Agreed.

2) It's trying to connect to a page on the same server; it's obvious from the path given to the file. And since ASP only runs on servers running IIS, IIRC, it's running on a Windows server.

I've never really heard that Oracle and MS don't get along. Care to elaborate?

An ASP script using ADO can connect via ODBC to a server that is either local or remote. I'm pretty sure you can set up an Oracle server on something that's not Windows and still have it use ODBC. On re-reading the error I also noticed that the ODBC client hasn't been configured at all so it's probably an issue of copying the ASP files from a test server to production and then forgetting to configure the production server. If they had installed Oracle on the same server they would have probably configured the data sources a long time ago.

And as for Oracle and Microsoft not getting along:
I recently moved and the last guy who was living here had a subscription to the Oracle magazine. The last one I got had the Linux penguin taking up the entire cover and the articles inside were mainly about stating the advantages of running Oracle on Linux instead of Windows.

Rower_CPU
Nov 16, 2003, 01:42 PM
OK, so I guess you're retracting your "The server running Oracle probably isn't even Windows based" comment, although circuitously.

And just because a company promotes one platform over another for its product doesn't make them enemies. Adobe was promoting PCs for Premiere. Does that mean Adobe is the enemy of Apple?

Besides, most enterprise level servers that need a DB system as powerful (and expensive) as Oracle will be running some form of Unix anyway, due to its performance, configurability and security advantages over IIS.

benixau
Nov 17, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Adobe was promoting PCs for Premiere. Does that mean Adobe is the enemy of Apple?

If you are a premiere or FCP programmer - yes.

Rower_CPU
Nov 17, 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by benixau
If you are a premiere or FCP programmer - yes.

There's a difference between enemy and competitor. Adobe was just competing to the best of its ability to get/keep customers on Premiere.

For two companies to be called "enemies" implies a deep-seated dislike on a level far beyond competition. Otherwise all companies in the same market are enemies.

funkywhat2
Nov 17, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by celaurie
Hang on? I've been gone but a few months and now we let folks in that defend M$... Deary me! Can I have some of what you're on? NOT! ;)

i'm with this guy...:confused: