Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooperweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
I have a Digital Sony DV camera firewired to my G5, Using either FCP or iMovie it recognizes camera connected but when I try to import it fails saying either no video or camera no longer connected or both in succession.

I remember once hearing that it was wise to record over an entire tape to write a timeline in case there is a section left blank when recording as that would kill the continuity of the timeine. I do not believe that is the case here as it happens immediately on several tapes.

Also I can control the camera via the firewire cable so I rule out a damaged cable as well.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Has this set up worked before? If so, have you changed anything since the last time it worked? In particular, have you updated QuickTime or iTunes?

FWIW, prerecording a tape for continuous timecode only serves to provide you with used tape. All consumer cameras and just about all prosumer cameras erase the tape before it gets to the record heads. The best way to avoid timecode breaks is to make sure you record enough per and post roll for every shot.

The practice of prerecording black (striping or pre-blacking) is a hold over from the analog camcorder days when camcorders could do insert recording; record an audio and/or video track without erasing the control or timecode track. It doesn't work that way any more.

-DH

Cooperweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Hi.

Yes it has worked fine before and yes many things have changed as well.
Changes include moving from Tiger to beta Leopard to Release Leopard 1.5
Also just updated FCP to Studio 2 (fcp6)

Been having this problem since beta Leopard and FCP 4 HD.

Before that I hadn't messed with editing for a long while.

QT I believe was recently updated but haven't upgraded the latest iTunes yet.

Worth noting perhaps is iMovie is version 5 which I know is problematic with Leopard.

I didn't realize about the timecoding changes. These tapes are mostly vacation tapes and as such, you know, people want to preview what they are standing in front of ..lol.. so sometimes blue gaps happen. Though not the case on these.

So, I'm into it a small fortune but not yet at that crazed beat-up-the-computer frustration level. :)

Cooperweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Well this is no longer a problem.

I was using the firewire port on the front of my G5 Dual PPC and decided to see if the back FW is the same size connection. There was one and after connecting it to there, it again captures and logs DV from my Sony Digi.

Now I am wondering if the front port is 400 and the rear port 800?
So it was either a speed problem or the front port is fuxored.

Eitherway, I'm happy. And good timing as tomorrow a friend is brining a like camera over and another cable so we could have tested those elements.

Right now I am merrily capturing along. Thanks for the suggestions. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.