PDA

View Full Version : Is a Powerbook 2400c too old to sell?

ljlpdx
Apr 23, 2008, 04:05 PM
First off, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I know very little about Macs, so I'd love any advice from those of you with more knowledge. A friend of mine asked me to try and sell her like-new PowerBook 2400c/180 laptop. Apparently it was a Japanese version with limited release and collectors have been interested in it in the past, but I don't know how to find any collectors. Other buyers looking for a laptop feel it is too old to purchase, so I was hoping someone on here had some ideas. Do you think I can find a buyer for it? Is a 10+ yr old PowerBook able to be upgraded to have a fast wireless connection? Thanks for any help.

Apr 23, 2008, 04:08 PM
What OS does it have? Anything above Mac OS X 10.1 is pretty good. Could attract some buyers. If it's older, it still might become popular for nostalgia.

Tallest Skil
Apr 23, 2008, 04:11 PM
Okay... released in '97. 180 Mhz... 112 MB RAM max... Max OS was 9.1. Yeah. Too old to sell.

Collectors would love it, though.

Oh, and if it were the Japanese version, it'd be 240 Mhz.

ljlpdx
Apr 24, 2008, 11:27 AM
OS 8.6, 180 MHz (so I guess this isn't the Japanese version). I think this might be more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning towards donating it. I'm sure someone can still use it for basic word processing. Thanks for your help!

CanadaRAM
Apr 24, 2008, 11:31 AM
Pretty much a boat anchor as regards wireless, speed, and ability to run software released this century. Impossible to get parts for. Collector's piece only.

shu82
Apr 24, 2008, 11:53 AM
OS 8.6, 180 MHz (so I guess this isn't the Japanese version). I think this might be more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning towards donating it. I'm sure someone can still use it for basic word processing. Thanks for your help!

Please don't just donate it. It still might end up getting scrapped. I will buy it from you if you don't want an arm and a leg for it. PM me with what she wants for it. I'll pay something reasonalble.

Michael CM1
Apr 24, 2008, 08:51 PM

You're definitely not gonna get squat out of it. Shoot, I complain about the computers here with OS 9. You could probably help someone out who doesn't have a computer at all, but other than that it's pretty much a paperweight.

Telp
Apr 24, 2008, 08:52 PM
If you can find a collector who is missing that particular model maybe...

tremendous
Apr 26, 2008, 02:22 PM
nothing is too old to sell. there's always someone who will buy something - whether or not you get what you want for it is the real question.

jjahshik32
Apr 26, 2008, 11:42 PM
Yes its too old to sell.. just throw it out and where do you live btw?? :o

e12a
Apr 27, 2008, 12:23 AM
Macs are never too old to sell. :)

at work we've got a few old PowerPCs sitting on their shelf, one of which is a 5300 IIRC. The other day we found a working PowerPC 1400 with a charger. it was interesting to play with.

On another occasion we found a Toshiba T1000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_T1000) in the recycle bin, along with the original carrying case and adapter. Unfortunately that didn't power on but we cracked it open...looks like the switch needs to be re-soldered.

One day I am going into lecture with one of these things and use it to take notes--of people's reactions. :)