Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Hey I did not purchase the January Software Upgrade when it came out because simply I wasn't intrigued by the new features it offered and didn't feel I needed them, nor were they worth the price. This is mainly because I do not have a Wi-Fi network at my house and a good amount of the features require the internet.

Anyways, in anticipation of the release of 2.0 and SDK in June, I am wondering whether I will be able to purchase 2.0/SDK with a single-charge of $19.99 (or so) and receive the Jan. Software Upgrade. Or, do you think I will have to pay ~$40 and receive both. And lastly, do you think it's possible I will HAVE to purchase the Jan. Software Upgrade in order to purchase 2.0.

Finally, I read somewhere on Mac Rumors that there's a possibility that the App Store will offer the individual JSU apps for around $5.99/ea.? What do u think the odds of this are?

Thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Its all possible, no one here knows any more than you, under 50 days until you know.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Its all possible, no one here knows any more than you, under 50 days until you know.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm just trying to figure out what's most likely to happen, but like u said, no one really knows. I just hope the package is consolidated to include the JSU & 2.0 for like around $20.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
My guess is that you will have to buy both in order to get 2.0. It doesn't make sense that Apple would reward you for not paying them earlier as they hoped by giving you two for the price of one.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
My guess is that you will have to buy both in order to get 2.0. It doesn't make sense that Apple would reward you for not paying them earlier as they hoped by giving you two for the price of one.

Yeah, I agree with you. However (and I know this is being kind of radical), technically didn't Apple punish those who bought the iPod touch early and gave it free to the those who waited? Just a thought.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Yeah, I agree with you. However (and I know this is being kind of radical), technically didn't Apple punish those who bought the iPod touch early and gave it free to the those who waited? Just a thought.

The way I see it, the only thing that happened was a price adjustment. And it was a significantly smaller price adjustment than what was seen earlier on the iPhone, if I recall correctly.

Apple reduced the base price of pre-update iPod Touches by $20 (this was applied to those units which were already in the supply chain but not yet delivered to a customer), and then bundled a $20 software package with the new units entering the supply chain, bringing the total price back to the same level it had been previously.

Of the new features being added in 2.0, what do we have?
- MS Exchange interoperability
This is only useful in conjunction with the January Software Update (for the Mail application).

- iPod Touch Application Store
This might be useful to lots of people with or without the January Software Update.

IMO, the JSU and the 2.0 upgrade will probably continue to be sold separately because they aren't totally dependent on each other.

In my perfect world, the 2.0 upgrade would be free, and the new features would be locked, as we saw in the 1.1.3 firmware update. The features themselves would be unlocked as 3 separate purchases - one for adding the JSU (if not done already), one for adding Exchange support on top of the JSU, and the last for adding the App Store.

Nickelz92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I think I'll eventually to be forced to buy the JSU simply because of the home screen functionality that it adds, which will probably be very useful for the App store. Either way, hopefully 2.0/JSU together will only cost around $40.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
I think, as an above poster said, they will be separate as they don't depend on each other. We know that, but Apple may 'force' users to upgrade to the January Software package by making the installation of the final build of v2.0.0 dependent on the JS package being installed and activated (paid for the unlock script). if you think about it, this is plausible as Apple could simply get v2.0 to look at the playlist file of the current device plugged in, before allowing installation of the firmware, and determine whether the permission which the $20 file changes, had indeed been changed.

Personally, the functionality of the $20 January Software update is so worth it.

Regarding version 2.0 of the iPhone/iPod touch software, I believe the charge Apple will set is going to sting.

Firstly, I think Apple will offer the update up, as they did with 1.1.3, for free, with all features locked.

Secondly, Version 2.0 is a major update. With the release of each X.0 revision of iTunes, some major game-changing features are released. Taking into consideration that I don't believe for one second all the features and additions of v2.0 were announced at the March event (I think we'll see Apple designed app additions - possibly iChat using wifi, and edge for iPhone?). I think we'll see v2.0 in the following strategic purchasable options.

Come June I think Apple will, as another poster said, will spilt the feature-set of 2.0 into two separate purchasable unlock scripts through the iTMS (like 1.1.3). One version comprising of enterprise features and the other containing an unlock for the App Store + Extra functionality. These separate packages will cost $10-20 each to purchase. As well as these options, I also think they will also offer v2.0 for ipod touch as a full package option, both business and app store plus extras included for an overall price of between $50-60.

Lets wait and see.

R-Fly

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not but I think Apple is really going to hurt the resale market for the iPod Touch. I don't know if it is intentional or just a side effect of what they see as their easiest software distribution/copyright protection option. If I understand the software upgrades correctly, it is tied to your iTunes account so if you sell your iPod Touch, it will not contain any purchased software upgrades. If Apple charges another $20 for 2.0 and doesn't include the $20 Jan update, it will cheaper for most people to buy a new iPod Touch instead of buying used. Then again people may be willing to lower the price a little more since they don't have to fork out that software update fee when they upgrade to a new unit. Either way, I really hope Apple decides upon a cumulative software upgrade fee of $20 to make any iPod Touch current every time they come out with a new update.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, but the January app pack has no real value to Apple. I mean, I walked into the Apple here in Tokyo with my old (non-app pack) Touch a few days ago, and walked out with a new Touch apps and all and it didn't cost me a penny. They didn't give me the earbuds or A/C charger that came with the new Touch because those things have real value - but the app pack apparently doesn't mean a whole lot to them, otherwise they would've either tried to charge me for the 'upgrade' or would've given me a pre-1.1.3 iPod.

I have a feeling the 2.0 upgrade will replace the January app pack, and will include the same apps.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yeah, but the January app pack has no real value to Apple. I mean, I walked into the Apple here in Tokyo with my old (non-app pack) Touch a few days ago, and walked out with a new Touch apps and all and it didn't cost me a penny. They didn't give me the earbuds or A/C charger that came with the new Touch because those things have real value - but the app pack apparently doesn't mean a whole lot to them, otherwise they would've either tried to charge me for the 'upgrade' or would've given me a pre-1.1.3 iPod.

I have a feeling the 2.0 upgrade will replace the January app pack, and will include the same apps.
Yes, completely true. But since they're constantly replacing those, they tend to have the newer onces in stock. Think of it as getting a three year old iBook running 10.3 replaced under warranty with a new macbook running 10.5. You get the new software because they didn't bother making the old version compatible. If they would have had an older model available, they probably would have given it to you. But it's not really worth their time to continue to produce them with the unupgraded software. I think that it was just implemented to provide a bit of extra revenue, but there's not really much value to it. But I can't see those who resisted payment before getting two for the price of one. Even if that was the case, it would be such a small number of users that haven't upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.