PDA

View Full Version : HELP- iBook G4 unmounting/cd eject issue

brittnae1986
Apr 23, 2008, 07:52 PM
:mad:

Okay, I'm hoping someone here may have some nuggets of wisdom to through my way?!

A few months ago my cdrom started not wishing to eject my cd stating it's in use (when it isn't). It shows up on my desktop fine, but won't eject. I have to restart and hold down the trackpad button for it to release the cd.

That was all fine and dandy and though annoying I can deal with it...however...

My computer is not allowing me to open up .dmg files. I have stuffit...I have the standard diskmount that is default in mac computers....but when i tried to download firefox and another program they put a .dmg file on my computer but neither will open up and unmount!!! So frustrating. (when they used to before)

So why would a download not unmount...nothing for a .dmg is unmounting on my computer. I tried opening stuffit and it appears liek it'll open but doesn't...stays in finder just like when i try to unmount the files.

Second issue. Now that i have the .dmg on my computer I want to delete them because if i can't unmount them they're of no use to me. However, my trash won't let me saying they're in use. (when they arent either >.<)

Help me. I beg of thee. Please. Someone.

MacHappytjg
Apr 23, 2008, 08:35 PM
honestly thats the first ive ever heard of that stuff honestly back ur stuff up and do a fresh install or something

brittnae1986
Apr 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
honestly thats the first ive ever heard of that stuff honestly back ur stuff up and do a fresh install or something

Oh lovely. :/ What do you mean fresh install? Like wipe all my stuff off and start completely from scratch? Oyy...

I was wondering if it has anything to do with the firmware perhaps? Trying to figure out if that may be it. Thing is im very good about running the software updater religiously...but i dont think the firmware is ever part of that. I have no clue though which one to download for my computer. it's an ibook g4 14" and that's honestly all i know. :/

MacHappytjg
Apr 23, 2008, 09:09 PM
uhm lemme see im not sure how to check it but if u try to install it will say already up to date ill look for the link to the apple site for frimware updates http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/ ok this theres a trouble shooting thing on the page and i see dvd and cd drives on it maybe check that out it might say something about the frimware or somthiing in that nature this actually hasnt ever happened to me so i cant really tell u sry

brittnae1986
Apr 23, 2008, 09:18 PM
im wondering if i should do this:

The drive doesn't eject discs
3. Reset the parameter RAM (PRAM) and/or the Power Manager (PMU). PMU reset instructions for iBook G4/PowerBook G4 or for MacBook/MacBook Pro (both 15-inch and 17-inch models).

thing is i cannot figure out which model of an ibook i have so I don't know which instructions to follow with this link:

iBook reset instructions (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq6)

:eek::apple:

brittnae1986
Apr 23, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thank you for trying to help. I know i've been a mac kid since the 80's and a couple of other ibooks, but this has never happened. I feel like maybe one of the security updates messed me up. The cd not ejecting has been like that since last summer....

MacHappytjg
Apr 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
yea that was my next thing i was going to say if nothing works do a clean wipe and backupall ur stuff i cant say nothing ever happened to me like that either. ps my first computter was a macintosh 512k and i still have it and it works :p

krye
Apr 24, 2008, 07:50 AM
Did you try to repair permissions?

brittnae1986
Apr 24, 2008, 05:39 PM
Repair permissions? How do i find/do that?

brittnae1986
Apr 24, 2008, 05:40 PM
Did you try to repair permissions?

Sorry the above was meant to have your quote.

brittnae1986
Apr 24, 2008, 05:47 PM
yea that was my next thing i was going to say if nothing works do a clean wipe and backupall ur stuff i cant say nothing ever happened to me like that either. ps my first computter was a macintosh 512k and i still have it and it works :p

wow :D that's awesome. my dad was a technology ed teacher at the local hs so he was very excited to get his hands on a mac for us. we had the 128k that came out in 1984. We kept it cause dad said its got a bunch of names scratched in the inside or something. But wow 128k?!!! haha when i look back now i'm surprised it even functioned.

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
To reset the PRAM, hold down Option, :apple:, P, R until the computer reboots.

To repair permissions, use the Disk Utility application which is in your Utilities folder and select your hard drive in the left hand column and then select Repair Disk Permissions.

brittnae1986
Apr 25, 2008, 02:57 PM
To reset the PRAM, hold down Option, :apple:, P, R until the computer reboots.

To repair permissions, use the Disk Utility application which is in your Utilities folder and select your hard drive in the left hand column and then select Repair Disk Permissions.

which part of my problem will repairing disk permissions help? I did the reset of the PRAM and thank *heavens* now my .dmg files are opening up when prompted. However, I've still got the cd not ejecting unless i restart and hold down the track pad button. :/ Anyone have thoughts on this? Will repairing the permissions help?

Wooo I'm on the road to recovery! I can feel it.