PDA

View Full Version : Member Progression/Rankings

~Shard~
Nov 15, 2003, 10:09 AM
I didn't know exactly where to post this question, so I thought this place would be as good as any. ;)

I am relatively new to MacRumors (since June) and was just curious how the ranking/progression system works for people on the site. I am now a member, and not a newbie anymore, but I was wondering where I go from here, how many posts I need to get to the "next level", what the next level is, what are the progressions for people posting on these forums, etc. I see all these 60xxx and 65xxx numbers under people's names, and am curious how everything fits together.

Any insight would be great - just curious, that's all! :)

Cheers,
Scott

job
Nov 15, 2003, 10:13 AM
Newbie = 0 - 29 posts
Member => 30 posts
Regular => 100 posts
6502 => 500 posts
65816 => 1000 posts
65832 => 1500 posts
68000 => 1505 posts
68010 => 2000 posts
68020 => 2005 posts
68030 => 2500 posts
etc....

DemiGod or Contributer => Users who have contributed to the site.

macrumors god => adminstrators.

taken from the F.A.Q thread. :)

~Shard~
Nov 15, 2003, 10:50 AM
Cool, thanks for the breakdown. I was looking through other FAQs but couldn't find that info anywhere, so I appreciate it. :)

MrMacMan
Nov 16, 2003, 12:32 AM
And 601 Means you post to much...

:D

Haha just kidding.

eyelikeart
Nov 16, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
And 601 Means you post to much...

is anyone here a 601?

Rower_CPU
Nov 16, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
is anyone here a 601?

jelloshotsrule (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=3996) ;)

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2003, 01:31 PM
Must be nice to have so much free time - what is that, over 10 posts a day for 2 years? ;)

vniow
Nov 16, 2003, 02:02 PM
is anyone here a 601?

jefhatfield too. (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=340)

eyelikeart
Nov 16, 2003, 03:14 PM
jellow...jef...ok... ;)

I had no clue what the rankings were to be honest.

I wonder what Mr. A would be? :D

Rower_CPU
Nov 16, 2003, 03:16 PM
I'd think he's approaching a G3 by now, depending on how detailed the 60x series is and what the cutoffs are.

eyelikeart
Nov 16, 2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I'd think he's approaching a G3 by now, depending on how detailed the 60x series is and what the cutoffs are.

so what am I then?

Rower_CPU
Nov 16, 2003, 03:47 PM
so what am I then?

I'd say, but the word filter would take it out. :eek: ;)

Seriously though, probably in the 603-604 range...I dunno.

eyelikeart
Nov 16, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I'd say, but the word filter would take it out. :eek: ;)

:eek: why I never!

;)

603 or 604 isn't too bad...almost a G3...

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2003, 09:35 PM
Kay, forgive my ignorance, but why are certain model #s selected for member ranking, and not others? Is it just arbitrary? It's just that there are so many models (5000s, 9000s, etc. etc. ), why were the 65xxxs and 68xxxs chosen? And then the progression to 600s?

Also, (and once again forgive my ignorance of Apple history!) but how do all these models "fit together", as far as timelines go? I assume they're all PowerMac models, and get increasingly newer as the member progresses?

Just curious!

Sun Baked
Nov 16, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Kay, forgive my ignorance, but why are certain model #s selected for member ranking, and not others? Is it just arbitrary? It's just that there are so many models (5000s, 9000s, etc. etc. ), why were the 65xxxs and 68xxxs chosen? And then the progression to 600s?... They're not model numbers, they're CPUs.

ie, the 6502 is all the way back at the Apple ][, 68000s the first Mac CPU, and the 600s are the beginning of the PPC CPUs.

revenuee
Nov 16, 2003, 09:52 PM
Note: at 500 when your a 6502 you get a tar

by the way .... nice to see a fellow canuck on the board. :D

i think there are 5 of us active now... LOL

We're even more of a minority then women on this board..... LOL

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2003, 09:59 PM
Ah, cool, that all makes more sense now. Hmm, how many posts will I need until I'm a 970? ;)

Originally posted by revenuee
by the way .... nice to see a fellow canuck on the board. :D

i think there are 5 of us active now... LOL

We're even more of a minority then women on this board..... LOL

Yah, I noticed there's not too many of us. Ah well, we're the trend-setters and pioneers up here in Canada then! Nice to meet a fellow Canuck as well!
:D

Sun Baked
Nov 16, 2003, 10:07 PM
Ah, cool, that all makes more sense now. Hmm, how many posts will I need until I'm a 970? ;) ... If Mr. Anderson isn't a G3 or G4 yet, I don't think you want to know the answer to that question.

And Mr. Anderson's at 14k+ posts while a couple of the other moderaters posting in this thread are around 10k+ and/or 7.7k+.

~Shard~
Nov 16, 2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
If Mr. Anderson isn't a G3 or G4 yet, I don't think you want to know the answer to that question.

And Mr. Anderson's at 14k+ posts while a couple of the other moderaters posting in this thread are around 10k+ and/or 7.7k+.

Fair enough - maybe by 2010 I'll be a 970... Hmm, just in time for the release of the G9s, which will be sphere-shaped, have holographic storage, dynamically-sized, user-defined plasma monitors, and OSX 10.16 (Ocelot) pre-installed! :D

Geez though, 14k+ posts. No offence at all to Mr. Anderson, but some people have too much time on their hands! ;)

job
Nov 16, 2003, 11:19 PM
Geez though, 14k+ posts. No offence at all to Mr. Anderson, but some people have too much time on their hands! ;)

You have no idea.... ;)

eyelikeart
Nov 17, 2003, 12:25 AM

Actually, u would be surprised to see just how much he's got going on in his life. He's a busy guy for sure. He just gets downtime while at work, so he posts...quickly. ;)

MrMacMan
Nov 17, 2003, 11:12 PM
jellow...jef...ok... ;)

Yeh really.

Tell arn to remove the Mod abilities and see what he has hit...

That is waay too high whatever it is.

If my school unblocked these forums I could get some posting in but arg!

:mad:

~Shard~
Nov 17, 2003, 11:14 PM
Actually, u would be surprised to see just how much he's got going on in his life. He's a busy guy for sure. He just gets downtime while at work, so he posts...quickly. ;)

Fair enough then! I'm impressed.... :)

manitoubalck
Nov 18, 2003, 04:06 AM
I just felt the need to post in an 'Old Skool' tread. But it is good to know how the ranking system works, maybe arn can help out about when the G3/4 ranks come in?

It'' be a while for me though I'm just @ 410

jefhatfield
Nov 19, 2003, 01:50 AM
jellow...jef...ok... ;)

if 601 is 5000 posts, my guess is that 7000 or 7500 posts is a 603 and 9000 or 10000 posts is a 604

perhaps 15000 would be G3, 20000 a G4, and G5 could be at 50,000 or 100,000 because we wouldn't want anybody to go past a G5 since there is nothing on the market yet ;)

...but i wonder what the breakdown is past a 601, or if 601 is the farthest that has been determined at 5000 posts?

~Shard~
Nov 19, 2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
if 601 is 5000 posts, my guess is that 7000 or 7500 posts is a 603 and 9000 or 10000 posts is a 604

perhaps 15000 would be G3, 20000 a G4, and G5 could be at 50,000 or 100,000 because we wouldn't want anybody to go past a G5 since there is nothing on the market yet ;)

...but i wonder what the breakdown is past a 601, or if 601 is the farthest that has been determined at 5000 posts?

I think by the time anyone gets to a G5 (if it was actually set to 50,000 posts), that chip will be as antiquated as the 601. ;) Of course, I guess you never know with some of the guys we have posting here!!! ;)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 07:50 AM
I did a search on my name, looking for another thread I wanted to review from a while ago and look what I found ;)

As for time....well, like eye said, things are nuts and they're going to get even worse, so it will give eye a chance to reclaim the top spot I imagine....:D

Post count is irrelevant though.....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
As for time....well, like eye said, things are nuts and they're going to get even worse, so it will give eye a chance to reclaim the top spot I imagine....:D

Haha! :D

If I even come close to your numbers, I'd be shocked. I'm sure u will somehow manage to get around here enough to keep it up. ;)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 09:14 AM
If I even come close to your numbers, I'd be shocked. I'm sure u will somehow manage to get around here enough to keep it up. ;)

That will truly be a trick - but we'll see what happens....

D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 09:25 AM
That will truly be a trick - but we'll see what happens....

hmm...

maybe...

I'd have to pull off something like I did the other morning. :eek: ;)

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 09:29 AM
ha, and you'd not get away with that....no one spams....I wonder if a mod will ever get banned for doing something stupid ;)

D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 09:40 AM
I wonder if a mod will ever get banned for doing something stupid ;)

I'm sure it could happen, but let's not bank on it. ;)

maybe if jellow ever became a mod... :D

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 09:41 AM
I'm sure it could happen, but let's not bank on it. ;)

maybe if jellow ever became a mod... :D

or one of us goes postal and bans all the other mods and arn ;)

That would be a way to make an exit :D

D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 09:59 AM
or one of us goes postal and bans all the other mods and arn ;)

That would be a way to make an exit :D

haha...the ultimate sacrifice! :eek: :D

Mudbug
Nov 19, 2003, 10:21 AM
haha...the ultimate sacrifice! :eek: :D

<runs and hides>

you'll never catch me... :D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mudbug
<runs and hides>

you'll never catch me... :D

you'll never escape alive!!!! :eek: :D

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 11:07 AM
arn would eventually log back in and remove all mention, links or posts of the mod doing that.....it would be as if you didn't exist.....;)

D

jefhatfield
Nov 19, 2003, 12:13 PM
hey duke and eye

your little chat just gave you guys another boatload of posts:p

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2003, 12:24 PM
your little chat just gave you guys another boatload of posts:p

we usually like to save this sort of stuff for the mod forum
:rolleyes:

and you just got another post responding to our posts....amazing how that works, eh? :p

D

jefhatfield
Nov 19, 2003, 12:54 PM

and you just got another post responding to our posts....amazing how that works, eh? :p

D

and i got a lot of posts arguing with eye in the past about the PDA...sometimes i got downright mad!!!

i am passionate about apple as a business first and computer maker second...and i believe a PDA can bring apple more money and ignoring a PDA is like tossing money in the sea because palm was having a weak vulnerable moment in those days...but that moment passed and palm recovered and that window of opportunity passed, for now

i do like the ipod, even though many mac people thought it would not work

and now i find out eye was doing that just for fun :)

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 01:55 PM
and now i find out eye was doing that just for fun :)

hahaha! :D

yeah...hope u don't feel cheated now. ;)

jefhatfield
Nov 19, 2003, 04:06 PM
hahaha! :D

yeah...hope u don't feel cheated now. ;)

i hope i wasn't too harsh on you in the old days...he he...i am not spikey or alphatech you know ;)

usually i see both sides and usually i live and let live

the PDA thing has been a hot point with me...he he...a passionate issue if you will

...along with wanting to ban the political forums i started here by mistake and regretted deeply...getting back our right to delete posts and threads...and the christian right zealots in politics and those posters who spew racist epithets here on this site

everything else i am ok with even if i don't completely agree with it ;)

well, i am glad i am not a mod because i would ban anyone against a PDA:D :D :D :D

eyelikeart
Nov 19, 2003, 04:39 PM
i hope i wasn't too harsh on you in the old days...he he...i am not spikey or alphatech you know ;)

Not at all. I had a lot of fun with that whole thing, and was borderline flamatory myself on people with it. ;)

job
Nov 19, 2003, 04:48 PM

so that's why you guys have some many posts in that forum. and it's all from four people...ha... ;)

Macmaniac
Nov 21, 2003, 09:25 PM
Its the year 2006, and someone on the board has a G5 tag. Hey its possible depending on the current processor scheme!

~Shard~
Nov 22, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Its the year 2006, and someone on the board has a G5 tag. Hey its possible depending on the current processor scheme!

I guess it's possible, but I think regardless of whether Apple is at the G5 still, or the G7, getting to be a G5 on this forum is still going to require an awful lot of posts! But, if some people continue on their current pace, I guess you never know! I got nothing against them, but I mean, geez, 14 posts a day in some cases!?! Yikes! You crazy guys... :D

eyelikeart
Nov 23, 2003, 11:57 AM
But, if some people continue on their current pace, I guess you never know! I got nothing against them, but I mean, geez, 14 posts a day in some cases!?! Yikes! You crazy guys... :D

heh yeah...

I likely get 20-30 a day easy. It's just I had some weeks of inactivity in the past that caused my daily count to go down. It's about quality though, not quantity. ;)

King Cobra
Nov 23, 2003, 12:24 PM
Are you kidding? Quality? :D

Actually, a few summers ago I managed to do up to 58 or so posts in a day, nothing like the 200+ jello had, which I witnessed part of. :eek: :eek:

I used to post a lot more, but college often takes over. So when I have little time to get online, I'm usually only online for priority means (either college work or in a specific section of DA).

This weekend, into the week, however, I'm going to have lots of free time. So between/among playing billiards (we have a s***** 3.5 by 7 foot mini), videogames, out of house activities, and reviewing, I'm sure I'll find some way to get online.

You'd be surprised, but eye used to be a top "dog" (that damn thing needs to quit smoking cigars :eek:) at post rates. Now even he has slacked off. Give credit where it's due, right 603, I mean, Mr. A? :p

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2003, 12:34 PM
Quality is just a marketing concept.

It's been replaced by cheap products tossed out the door in large quantities.

Just keep telling us you make a quality product, and you may just be able to fool the gullible.

tazo
Nov 23, 2003, 12:44 PM
I think I one did like 75 or so in a day, during the summer...that was amusing :p

eyelikeart
Nov 23, 2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
You'd be surprised, but eye used to be a top "dog" (that damn thing needs to quit smoking cigars :eek:) at post rates. Now even he has slacked off. Give credit where it's due, right 603, I mean, Mr. A? :p

This is true. Mr. A just came on with the fire though, and I couldn't keep up with him last summer.

It's no worry though, I still have plenty fun around here. :p

King Cobra
Nov 23, 2003, 03:33 PM
During a lot of last summer I wasn't able to have internet access, so I missed a lot of that fun. Dare I look under Mr. A's profile and check out his post count record deviated a whole 0.5 posts per day. :p

I just saw some children read the last line in the previous post, then read the signature. They now only visit the forums while wearing a mask and a set of highly protective gloves. :eek:

(SB) > Quality is just a marketing concept. It's been replaced by cheap products tossed out the door in large quantities.

As I said, high protection gloves. :D